Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cochinillo "Segoviano" flight (Leg 1)

Thank you icordoba. You are beginning to make me realise that Spain is much more open and friendly to GA than I had thought.

I would love to meet you in LESO one day. Will let you know.

Paul

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Hi Buckerfan,
the rates in any Spanish airport are always very low. The problem you will have is with handling agents. You can easily get charged 300 or 400€ pero operation if you are not careful.
Just check the AIP and try to choose airfields that don’t require handling (if you come from UK you will probably always need it as you need to clear customs… except if you come to a no-handling one as LECU)
Vigo is just like Pamplona, Cordoba, Seville, … no handling required. But others such as Ibiza or Malaga or Valencia, it’s required. I try to avoid those.
If you go to any of these, and regarding handling, even when it’s required, there is a process to request a very cheap handling (about 12€ per operation). Check this website (you can use Google to translate it to english)
https://realaeroclubdeespaña.org/que-no-te-la-cuelen-con-el-handling/
(In this document you have a description of what I think boscomantico referes to ramp transport service… reference there as “basic ramp service”: “Acompañamiento básico en plataforma”)
My advise is that when you plan to come to Spain drop a line here, or directly to me, and I’ll try to help on the planning and airport handling agent choosing, if required.

About the microlight ones, there are plenty of them, which of course are always open to GA (if you can make it in the runway… some of them are just 500m, which I avoid with my Cirrus of course). But others like LEMT and, specially, LECN (right at the beach and perfect for a Paella) are always very much used for GA and with a very low fees (for example, LECN hast just a 7€ landing fee, no other cost involved. Check my Paella flight video for that field.

Last but not least… anytime you want to meet in LESO for pintxos just drop a line here and we’ll make it there!!

LEMT, Spain

Best in Spain was Badajoz, 2018. AIR BP card, pump closes 1300Z (fun getting there from Shoreham before that) unless you paid cash and then it stayed open all day. No prize for guessing where the cash went

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Bosco. I think the key was that we were both classed as ‘crew’, hence no mandatory handling.

On the other hand, I just got the AirBP invoice for the refuelling there. What I was not told when I enquired preflight about the fuel cost was that I would be subject also to a variety of other fuelling charges including Hook Up Fee (E28.50) and Overwing Charge (only E5). This took the total Jet A1 cost to E2.67 per litre inc VAT

FWIW, here is the current price guide for AENA airports.
See page 11 of the pdf. It seems that if the airport belongs to the lower three price groups (or if it is a „training“ flight), plus if you get away without handling (or possibly just the famous ramp transport service), then the sum can be reasonable. If not, well, then not.

230111_Aena_price_guide_January_2023_pdf

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 Feb 22:03
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hi Ignacio. Love your videos! Thank you.

I just flew back from Portimao to the UK with a fuel and immigration/customs stop in Pamplona LEPP. A couple of things intrigued me:

• All my previous flights on the Iberian Peninsula had been to big AENA airports (Ibiza, Malaga) where the costs and bureaucratic hassle are huge. Then I was surpirsed to go through Pamplona where the only fee was a E 10.25 landing charge, and minimal hassle. The kind of places you fly to, like Vigo – what are the charges?
  • As I flew over Spain I was looking closely at the Skydemon app on my ipad. I noticed there were literally hundreds of airfields marked “microlight site”. The majority have hard runways, many off the long enough (+/- 800m) for most GA aircraft. What is the deal with these ‘sites’? Are they available to the general aviation community. Do we just send an email to the contact noted on Skydemon, or are they closed to all except local club members? Who paid for the runways etc?

I hope you will plan a pintxos trip to San Sebastian soon.

No no… it’s absolutely not always fine here! Definitly better than in central Europe, but not that good to not have Instrument Rating.
I am preparing BIR, but I am having lots of problems with the school I chose here. I wasn’t lucky on that…

Hopefully I will go through the 3 BIR theory exams soon.

LEMT, Spain

What for? The weather is always fine where he flies.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Keep them coming Ignacio! No food left untouched by GA in Spain!

So when are you getting your IR? Thought about the CB-IR?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Scallop flight to Galicia! (Zamburiña flight)

LEMT, Spain
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message