Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New policy and prices at Zadar LDZD

The security angle is easy to implement, if the will exists. I don’t know about other countries but here in the UK you can do it by having a specified type of separation (distance, mainly) between the GA entrance (which can also be the bizjet entrance) and the airline terminal. It is a straightforward risk assessment exercise. One former airport manager described it here years ago.

The problem is a lack of will. Also airport management, and aviation security generally, is the last bastion of stupid people, and stupid trade unions (most trade unionists are stupid, otherwise they would have a real job). For example I have just emailed ~10 Italian airports re clearing immigration, and costs. 1 replied (with handler details!). So on that sample only 10% of Italian airport admin/management has sufficient IQ to send an email.

This is a widespread rot which is gradually progressing, everywhere. Increasingly in GA one has to pick the destinations with care. A lot of trips I did 15+ years ago, while still possible (the airport has not gone away), would cost thousands more.

Behind it is the national-political backdrop. Brussels is closing up its “club borders”, presumably to send a message to those outside that they are better off inside their club. They require more and more checks, and at a higher frequency. Discussed this in another thread recently, on biometric ID. The police love this, of course, so a lot of airports are 24/48hr PN, etc. And not just France. Well, every “club” tries to do this, but most don’t have the power. Your local model plane flying club would dearly love to ban people flying model planes if not club members.

Is Rijeka doing the same scam? They were a nice place.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter you should look at LIPV. Quite apart from the fact it’s the most romantic and evocative airport in the world, especially if you happen to love Art Deco, the approach over Venice is one of the best GA views ever, and they are very organised with their on line form where you can book everything you need including customs. I’m heading back in October and with two crew and two passengers it’s about £150 with four nights parking.

Fuel is pricey but that seems to be happening everywhere

They are super helpful and it’s the closet you will ever get to the true golden age of aviation.

J

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

All these airports treat small GA aircrafts like business jets in terms of charging and what you actually get from handling is marshaling on arrival (and suddenly we are capable of doing everything on our own on departure) and a hundred-meter drive in van.

@Emir, what about the description of service with the invoice?
I think IATA has got some rules re: handling, i.e. an IATA manual to which each handler must refer, and specify which items they provide for that price.
I mean, at least to make their life miserable and ask them for the printout. :)

EGTR

Peter wrote:

The security angle is easy to implement, if the will exists.

I agree. National regulations (or their interpretation) do vary considerably, but there is almost always an easy solution if the will is there to find and accept it.

When I was in Heringsdorf EDAH several years ago they had found an easy implementation that worked just fantastic for separating commercial and GA traffic. Sure the fuel station location wasn’t optimal, but there was a clear line separating CAT and GA areas with different typical GA relaxed people ground movement regulations once one taxied across that line. Separate access/exit control point for GA next to a restaurant with one person, a restaurant employee, controlling the gate and collecting charges on departure…. all out of a container.

LSZK, Switzerland

Sure, but then there is also the element of wilful
outpricing of light GA aircraft. So yes, lack of will, if you will.

Plus, in some cases, the people who decide these price structures sometimes just have no clue that 200€ is lot of money in the context of light GA, which can make the whole flight unfeasible. They simply have no clue how much cost-minimizing is going on in the light GA spectrum, to make it possible.

So, a lot of factors coming together, which are making make most airline airports „unaccessible“ (>200€) to light GA, especially in „non-GA“ countries, like most of the south and east of Europe.

My personal flying has also more and more shifted to GA airfields in the past twenty years, with the odd exception here and there. Those are usually well researched, i.e. where I know the fees aren‘t 200€+, as can still often be had in Germany, Scaninavia, France and yes, partially, in the UK.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Is Rijeka doing the same scam?

Not yet but they are still recovering from pandemic; I expect them to follow the other in few years. The problem with LDRI is bad weather – it’s the area with most rain in Croatia and a lot of convective weather. For locals it’s easy to fly there but planning some trip require more flexibility than usual.

what about the description of service with the invoice?

Description is “handling” or “GA terminal usage” and that’s it – you can’t get any details more, they just refer you to their price list.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Description is “handling” or “GA terminal usage” and that’s it – you can’t get any details more, they just refer you to their price list.

@Emir, surely there is some sort of detailed description?! How otherwise you could determine if the right service is provided?

EGTR

Peter wrote:

I don’t know about other countries but here in the UK you can do it by having a specified type of separation (distance, mainly) between the GA entrance (which can also be the bizjet entrance) and the airline terminal.

Yes, that’s how it is done in all reasonable places, also outside of the UK.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Emir, surely there is some sort of detailed description?! How otherwise you could determine if the right service is provided?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir, I have to say, without the VIP terminal all looks acceptable (46Euro), but that other charge is a bit too much.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message