Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel in Norway and Sweden - building a register of small airfields with 100LL / 91 etc. that take CASH or credit or debit cards.

Maybe a tad OT and worth a new thread?

We do have quite a few septentriones foristium Noordmen among us, which may be able to shed a light on the perspective for 100LL up there? When we were travelling Norway and Sweden this year, we frequently heard they already began to pull the plug for 100LL. This was more of a constant rumor thing, all airfield we knew from former trips and flew to had no change at all, but – permanent background noise was ‘how long’? I do hear the ‘100LL will die’ story since I started flying and it never came, so the question to our Northern Fellows:

Is it real and do you prepare to get rid of 100LL?

Right now this is not a major concern to me, as both of my current aircraft take Autofuel, but it may delay my acquisition of a third with Turbo für IFR.

Germany

Pig wrote:

Since almost every airport has it own rules for C&I

So fly to an uncontrolled one with no rules

ESME, ESMS

MichaLSA wrote:

There are two distinct – but related – issues. One is the poor general availability of any kind of AVGAS in northern Sweden which is very sparsely populated. The airports are generally few and far apart. (Almost?) all helicopters in commercial ops use JET A-1 as does all commercial aircraft so the demand for AVGAS is not great.

The other issue is the general availability of unleaded AVGAS (91/96UL and UL91). Hjelmco Oil – the manufacturer of 91/96UL – dominates the market. They do offer 100LL as well, but at small airports and strips AVGAS is usually sold by the local club. If all club aircraft can run on unleaded, why bother with 100LL? Unleaded is generally €0.20 cheaper and better for those engines that can use it.

My club does offer both 91/96UL and 100LL, but we do that primarily as a service to the community. None of our own aircraft need it and only one of the privately owned aircraft based on the field does. In southern Sweden in particular, many airports with airline traffic have also switched from 100LL to UL91.

So I wouldn’t say that anyone “prepares” to get rid of 100LL, but the limited demand means it’s getting more difficult to find. Given that Sweden is an EU member, it can’t be banned unless the EU bans it. Of course, an EU ban on TEL would affect Sweden as well.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It depends what you mean by “you” and so on. The situation 30 years ago was 100LL on all Avinor fields. It wasn’t called Avinor back then, but it’s the same organisation (sort of). Since then 100LL has been gone on almost all smaller Avinor fields. The reason for that is simply they don’t want to bother with it. They don’t feel any obligation to automatically offer 100LL service to GA obviously. Then there is also the thing that there has been a shift in the GA fleet. The majority of GA don’t need 100LL. The majority needs Jet fuel (Helicopters, which is 90% of commercial GA), the rest can use Mogas or UL94. 100LL is only used by a minority of GA, also a minority of private GA. The fact that 100LL exists at all on some Avinor fields, is perhaps more a traditional thing than due to demand.

I have heard no plans about getting rid of 100LL as such, as in a political plan. Avinor is however engaged in several El-projects. They do have a “vision” of going all electric at some point. A bit weird that a airport owner/operator is involved in this, but Avinor is also responsible for the entire aviation infrastructure and operation (ATC and so on). We all know that El is not taking over aviation transport any time soon, but this is the long term goal of Avinor (el in some form/combination). Avinor is also responsible for infrastructure in relation to military and civil defense (SAR, police etc). 100LL doesn’t enter into that equation, it’s all Jet fuel.

On non Avinor fields the situation hasn’t changed. 100LL is available on the largest, or the ones with most traffic. 100LL is also coming back to some Avinor fields. Either by locals convincing Avinor or locals taking over the operation. ENRO and ENOV for instance.

I think it’s safe to say though, without local pressure/initiative, 100LL will be gone from all Avinor fields at some point.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Just for everyone elses’ information, the further north I have managed to find avgas with credit card is EFRO in Finland so from there we can get all the way north and back.

Currently EFSO (Sodankylä) seems to be the northest point where you can get AVGAS in Finland with credit card. EFSO is about 100km further north from Rovaniemi.
You can see the Finland’s largest avgas distributor’s (Kanair) locations and their status in https://www.kanair.fi/category/10/polttoaineet

Finland

Thanks LTP – we’ll be going to EFSO too then – also thanks for the link for fuel in Finland

J

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

So fly to an uncontrolled one with no rules 

Actually, as far as legalities are concerned those airfields with no rules fall under EU laws: while within Schengen as EU citizen (freedom of mouvement) with EU goods (nothing to declare) you have that right and you are likely to win that case in EU courts

It’s when you fly to “big airports” with written rules: you tend to mix with non-EU traffic & non-EU goods and you will have to comply with funky national & local rules

If you ask many LSA, ULM, Gliders pilots…no one can stop them practicing “their sport” while intra-EU within Schengen sarting with the ability to land anywhere and make the rules for that even the sub-ICAO flying permits gets ignored !

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Aug 10:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

My club does offer both 91/96UL and 100LL, but we do that primarily as a service to the community. None of our own aircraft need it and only one of the privately owned aircraft based on the field does. In southern Sweden in particular, many airports with airline traffic have also switched from 100LL to UL91.

That’s enlightening information about the GA aircraft population there, given that most 200hp+ propeller aircraft on the market with 4+ seats need 100LL.

LSZK, Switzerland

After all, it is not all too different in Central Europe. Even here, the vast majority of aircraft are club aircraft, and most club fleets „end“ with the DA40, Robin, or PA28-181, or possibly C182. These are all UL91 capable, and most of them are even mogas-capable (in fact, many small clubs refuel their aircraft from some small mogas tank stored behind the hangar). From that point of view, it is actually surprising that 100LL hasn‘t been dropped at many airfields yet in say Germany.

Sure, we still have many Mooneys, Arrows, Malibus and Cirruses in private ownership (the latter also in many flying schools), which are way less ubiquitous in rural Scandinavia. That sort of keeps the demand up around here, I guess.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

chflyer wrote:

That’s enlightening information about the GA aircraft population there, given that most 200hp+ propeller aircraft on the market with 4+ seats need 100LL.

Given that our longest runway is 630 m grass, that’s perhaps not surprising? We do have a few 200 hp+ aircraft on the field that can use unleaded. The one that does require 100LL is a Pitts Special.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 24 Aug 17:45
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message