Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aviosuperfici in Italy threatened by new proposed regulation

Indeed, having the Avioportolano with all the airfield information within Skydemon is a key feature when flying in Italy. There is no other usable source to get Italian airfield information “at a glance”, especially as most airfields are not in the AIP.

Switzerland

I was going to plan a trip to Italy, but frankly I am not sure I have fun dealing with all that uncertainty …

Germany

The “proper” airports in Italy work OK. Well, “Italian way” sometimes, but OK

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The “proper” airports in Italy work OK. Well, “Italian way” sometimes, but OK

The subject of this thread being Aviosuperfici, and not what you consider “proper” airports…

MichaLSA wrote:

not sure I have fun dealing with all that uncertainty

Spent last week touring southern Italy and Sicily with 3 friends of mine, each his is own renegade RV 😉, and there was no uncertainty… just fun and great hospitality 👍🏻

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

+1

No uncertainty and no avioportolano on board
When unsure, one can always call or text,
I got PPR for Albatros via SMS in the air

Poland

Of course, factually, not so much has changed. Most of the runways are still there. As long as one gets permission to land from the owner (or knows that the owner sort of gives glank permission to land to everyone) one can land on any runway out there. And as long as nothing bad happens, there will be no problems, aviosuperficie or not. If there is an incident or accident, there might be. So, if one is willing to take that residual risk, there is no issue with the new regulation and the fact that some fields are not actually not classed an aviosuperficie anymore.

I am trying to find out information on those fields which used to be officially classed as aviosuperifice until recently, but whose operators have for some reason not bothered to hand in the paperwork to comply with the new regulation, but which continue to operate as a campo di volo. The information is hard to come by. Probably not so many.

There more frequent case will be airfields which have not really been classed as aviosuperficie not even before the new regulation came in.

Other airfields might been given up completely, i.e. the don’t even exist as a “campo di volo” any longer.

Anyway, here is a list of the (rather more popular) “aviosuperfici” that, according to this list, don’t exist (any more):

• Toniatti (Bibione)
  • Zampieri (Friulian Alps)
  • Rivoli di Osoppo (this is impossible, with all the GA traffic they have)
  • Sondrio Caiolo (also impossible, with that infrastructure)
  • Pradelle (Brescia)
  • Aeroclub Piacenza
  • Dorgali (Sardinia)
  • Platamona (Sardinia)
  • Sezze Divinangelo (Campania)
  • La Selva (Campania)
  • Calatabiano! (Sicily)
  • Tenuta Tannoia! (Puglia)
  • Sant’Andrea Melendugno (Puglia)
  • Macrì (Puglia)
  • Monticchio (Puglia)
  • Antares (Puglia)

It could have come worse. Anyway, let’s wait and see a bit until the dust has settled.

[ edited to use * instead of – to produce a neater list; please use that as it takes zero extra time ]

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Jun 07:45
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Sondrio Caiolo (also impossible, with that infrastructure)
Sondrio should have the authorization until June 24th 2026, according to the ENAC website. Also, their own website looks like the airfield is open and don’t mention any restrictions.
Last Edited by Frans at 14 Jun 10:57
Switzerland

Better not talk too loud…

On their (very old) own website, http://www.cvne.it/, they use the term “aviosuperficie” several times…

But then again, it might be just an error in the ENAC/Avioportolano database. Likely… Just like the omission of Sondrio in the Avioportolano database…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Jun 10:38

Anyway, as expected, the pattern seems to be that where there are “aviation professionals” dealing with the airfield, everything has been sorted out, whilst the victims of the new regulation seem to be those runways which merely are “ancillary” to some agriturismo, where, in the past, the owner thought “well, if it’s just a matter of handing in a couple of papers, then I might as well just make this runway an aviosuperficie”. But now that things have become a bit more complicated (and more liability looms), they don’t bother (or maybe they are still unaware).

It would be a real shame to lose wonderful places like Tenuta Tannoia or Macrì as aviosuperfici. Has anybody else here ever been there?

Calatabiano would also be bad. Despite its short runway, several certified aircraft go there every summer and enjoy the agriturismo, the pool, the restaurant, the view of the Etna and a visit to Taormina….

Same for Platamona and its world class beaches just 500 metres away…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Jun 10:53

Calatabiano would also be bad

Yep, been there last week, and that is a gem indeed. Super gravel runway (way too long for my liking and ship 🤣), hotel 300m above said field with Rita darling managing the place enthusiastically, and yes, that view on the Etna and the Stretto di Messina.
6 outta 5 ⭐️

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message