Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aviosuperfici in Italy threatened by new proposed regulation

Could be other reasons.

Europe does not have a properly organised and funded “AOPA” anywhere. So a lot of stuff doesn’t get done.

Also, as posted above, most people in Italy would think they can “somehow sort it out the Italian way” and that is how S. Europe tends to work, but sometimes it doesn’t – it works like it should work in N. Europe I know someone in Italy who has just lost an apartment, worth about 300k, which was in the family for 50 years, due to a “fairly common tax fiddle” whose fate unfortunately ran along decidedly North European lines… well with one small variation: the administrator of the failed business seems to have arranged for the forfeited apartment to end up in the hands of somebody in the bank which appointed the administrator

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

A pity all this effort hasn’t been done a year ago.
Indeed extremely pity. I do hope some kind of ‘solution’ (might it be the “Italian way”) will be reached before 8th of March. Thanks for the update!

Peter wrote:
Europe does not have a properly organised and funded “AOPA” anywhere. So a lot of stuff doesn’t get done.
That is true, unfortunately. I do have the feeling that national aeroclubs, i.e. in Germany DAeC, in Switzerland AeCS, have a bigger lobby, compared to AOPA. I’m however not sure how big the influence of the Italian aeroclub (AeCI) is, I don’t see anything noticeable regarding this new proposed regulation on their website, but my Italian is also quite bad.
Last Edited by Frans at 18 Jan 12:28
Switzerland

Sure, in Italy these things always get sorted out in the last minute (or even a bit later). Or never.

And sure enough, even today, many airfields believed to be aviosuperfici actually aren’t, because some piece of paper or formality is missing, the gestore forgot to renew some paperwork, or similar.

This will be aggravated after the 8th of March, and even more aviosuperfici will lose this status. And again, it will not change all that much. Some people will willingly continue to fly their aircraft on these ex-aviosuperfici, others will do so unknowingly. This is until something happens. But even then, nothing bad might happen. Insurances don’t know these subtleties anyway.

So yes, life will go on, but that doesn’t mean that we don’t have to make every possible effort to safeguard as many aviosuperfici as possible. Especially for visitors from abroad. That’s why I am stirring the pot, here and elsewhere. To make people aware and to thereby make the people who could do something about wake up.

AOPA is of course a small organisation. I have often critized them, first and foremost their president. From all I have read from him over the last twenty years (that’s how long he been their president almost), I think he is absolutely lame. Under his reign, almost all Italian airline airports have been completely lost to general aviation.
Still, AOPA does have some influence at ENAC, that has to be said.

Aerclub Italy (AecI) is a different animal. A public entity under the superintendence of the Italian government. They hardly do any AOPA-type lobby work for general aviation. They are more doing general “promotion” of flying. They are also involved with FAI flying competitons, organizing the local aeroclubs under their umbrella, and acting as the delegated regulating body for ultralight aviation. Somewhat similar to German DAeC. The Swiss Aeroclub seems to be a bit of an exception, doing some lobby work as we understand it.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 18 Jan 15:29
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

The Swiss Aeroclub seems to be a bit of an exception, doing some lobby work as we understand it.

True, but also not to be overrated. Club is the correct name in this case

IMHO what’s really missing is a single and general European AOPA. And an “EAA” regrouping all the different private aviation interests. All the actual small entities have little if any power, and are usually just dismissed by the authorities and agencies.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

IMHO what’s really missing is a single and general European AOPA. And an “EAA” regrouping all the different private aviation interests. All the actual small entities have little if any power, and are usually just dismissed by the authorities and agencies.

Amen. I think it’s easier to create something new with EU/Europe agenda from the start than trying to unite the existing entities.

always learning
LO__, Austria

In many areas they are uniting quite well.
FFPLUM is part of a European wide and indeed worldwide lobbying organisation.
I think it goes under European Sports Aviation. The FFA may also be a member of this as well as other European wide aviation groups dealing with club and light ga.
The difficulty is and always has been, that what suits one group of pilots does not suit another ie something that suits an organisation of clubs might well not be agreeable to an owner’s group.
So uniting is not the problem but unity is.

France

Dan wrote:

True, but also not to be overrated. Club is the correct name in this case
Nonetheless, I do have the feeling that the Swiss Aeroclub does get things done, has a decent connection to Swiss politics, and can present results, while AOPA Switzerland seems a bit “fürig”.

AOPA Germany is different, I’ve been a member while living there and had the feeling, that they get things done too. However, as a former managing director of a German flying club, I know that the German Aeroclub (DAeC) has quite some (political) influence and even higher politicians on board. The clean and liberal German airspace is one of their successful lobbying works. Nonetheless, the DAeC is more supporting the sailplane / gliding community and less the PPL pilots.
Last Edited by Frans at 19 Jan 17:08
Switzerland

The first impression, about two weeks after the new regulation went in force in its entirety, is that those aviosuperfici that did go (or are currently going) the extra mile to remain approved as an aviosuperficie are tighenting up on written prior notification, often via forms created for this purpose. So it is no longer ok to “just land” at an aviosuperficie, and not even ok to just phone ahead or to send a short text message. So yet more “paperwork” when flying, as expected.

Info received from aviosuperficie Bedizzole, a very well managed pearl on the western shores of Lake Garda:

And here is a preview of their form (with lots of small print…). Of course, these plain pdf forms are a pain when one is already on a trip. At least, it is translated into English. Don’t expect all other aviosuperfici to be as well prepared as this one.

Anyway, other (previously approved) aviosuperfici may well not currently „exist“ any more at all. So check in advance if you want to use one.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 19 Mar 17:03
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Crazy bureaucratic. That makes it next to impossible to do a spontaneous trip in Italy, except going to certified airfields like Aosta, Bolzano, Venecia-Lido etc. At least on paper. On the other hand, I think that many Aviosuperificie aerodromes are still operating as before and nobody feels a change. Rules in Italy seem often made to be broken in practice.

I remember flying to Enemonzo back in 2019 with a Dimona, while this airfield is ‘only’ a “Campo Volo”. The owner was very welcoming and also registered aircrafts and gliders were stationed at that airfield. And I think there are many “Campo Volo” out there, where registered aircrafts are operating from or into.

Switzerland

so if I get this correctly, the purpose of this form is to satisfy the customs and tax authorities.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message