Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spanish airfield for sale - Ocana LEOC

Included in the offer is a building (“currently out of service”) with 43 bedrooms.

Stock it up with some booze and you will have a piece of Liverpool moving there is no time at all

If it is in the middle of nowhere – even better since they can form a nice self contained community. 1st bottle gets open at breakfast time…

But, as you say Peter, I believe the majority of the activity is gliders

Such a waste of a nice runway, but I guess that once GA facilities in Spain fell below a certain critical level, the whole scene collapsed rapidly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

and they stay on till the bitter end and I had a full grid of gliders on the ground to get launched

Indeed, there is that profile as well: some who ask for 4kft, I hit some really good stuff at 2kft (enough to twist Robin wings) and I start circling on it but the guy behind rarely releases: “a rich boy blinded by his 4kft mission focus”

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Dec 16:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Stock it up with some booze and you will have a piece of Liverpool moving there is no time at all

If it is in the middle of nowhere – even better since they can form a nice self contained community. 1st bottle gets open at breakfast time…

There’s a lot less of that since the 90 day rule, that being said lots of very wealthy LATAM investors moving to Madrid this year…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I would assume that somebody with a few €M could buy a legit Spanish passport. You can certainly buy a legit UK one for similar money. But this airfield would be useful for… what? It is quite remote, and probably unfriendly to high-end GA necessary for travelling around Europe. As for setting up an air park, forget it – all been tried before.

Administrator

The virtual tour on their website is good fun and actually quite well done.

But boy, maintaining all that will sure cost big money. I wonder why it was ever built in the first placd and with whose money?

As expected, no touring GA aircraft there.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

wonder why it was ever built in the first placd and with whose money?

EU cohesion funds. LOADS of projects like that all over Spain.

For some reason this reminded me of this sad and mysterious story.

Administrator

172driver wrote:

EU cohesion funds. LOADS of projects like that all over Spain.

Not this one. This is the result of the Franco era thinking that fostering GA would increase the pilots population in case of a potential need for national interest. When surplus military SEP’s were given away to aeroclubs and the DGAC gave away glider pilot courses at one of their national schools, Ocaña being one of them.

I was lucky enough to be one of the very few unconnected selected candidates to enjoy one of those last free (government-paid) DGAC glider courses in 1989 or thereabouts, doing my first solo in a G103 Twin Astir after an aerotow behind a venerable geared-engine Dornier, or a taildragger Rallye 235 …how could I forget?

We slept in one of those now vacant bedrooms , dined in the still-occupied dining room (I believe it is a restaurant nowadays), and watched the countries’ greatest pilots train in their aerobatic SU-26 or the occasional Bucker Jungman.

Nothing short of paradise to a 19YO aerospace engineering student…

Last Edited by Antonio at 24 Dec 09:32
Antonio
LESB, Spain

The non-gliding, non-AENA, Madrid GA scene fled to Casarrubios del Monte as soon as it opened

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Buy it, convert the terminal into a massive home. Have a massive home, and a premium private runway :)

Presumably the final sale price will be significantly more than the 1M minimum bid.

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 24 Dec 11:18
EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message