Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Day trip Mallorca to the French Pyrenees

The POH procedure for the 210 is, once obstacles are cleared on the approach end of the runway, to actually close the throttle on short field landings while lowering the nose to minimize landing runway required. Airspeed is thus maintained despite the throttle being closed and thus there is enough energy for the subsequent flare. But that is a different matter since there is no concern about a 1000ft/min touchdown if you do so at the wrong spot: you are simply minimizing overall energy ASAP for the shortest landing distance

In another words, short field landing is done at the same approach airspeed but on higher wing AoA as you descend after obstacles or as you enter ground effect in flare

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Nov 22:46
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I am trying to understand what you mean.

Basically we can simplify and assume that for a given configuration lift is a constant times IAS times AOA (from the zero lift ref, but it does not matter for this).

So by closing the throttle after obstacle, and simultaneously letting the nose drop for constant IAS, for a second we are perhaps 0.9g so a bit less lift on roughly the same IAS= slightly less AOA.
Shortly thereafter you raise the nose for the flare and IAS goes down: for a second the g-loading is 1.1g, which combined with the reducing IAS will increase AOA, like in most flares, then you hopefully touch down near max critical or stall AOA.

All of this disregards any factors of engine power or ground effect on lift, but it does not change the AOA trend.

So I don’t see why AOA would increase after obstacle clearance with this technique…it would only happen during flare as in any approach.

The proposed technique is aiming for the obstacle immediately short of the runway at low stabilized IAS, then once cleared dive for the runway at minimum power and flare.

The relevant extracts from the P210 POH follow (there is a line missing between the last two pages but by looking at the procedure checklist one can guess it sais something about retracting flaps and applying full up elevator or something along those lines) :

Last Edited by Antonio at 12 Nov 16:35
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Yes only during the transition to flare, ignoring the quick change in G as you cut power, say you fly 70kts ASI with VSI on -300fpm vs -900fpm, the latter will be on higher AoA and on high G wing load as you level your flight path during flare, that generate lot of drag and burn lot of runway

Call it a very steep & convex landing !

On same ASI speed, I think VSI & AoA reading at 50ft matters a lot to your float & landing roll

However, if you are on ILS 3deg to TDZ, the “energy” at 50ft will be solely determined by your ASI and AoA will be very shallow…

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Nov 17:02

I still am not sure I follow you. AOA during a stable approach is independent of vsi, and you can only change it by changing IAS.

Once you load the wing with g’s say, for the flare (which is in any case relatively few g’s say 1.1) , it is a different matter as it is no longer a stable trajectory: of course, you will need more G’s for longer time (and yes higher AOA and more drag) if your glidepath relative to the runway is higher for the same IAS (VSI 900fpm vs 300fpm). On the altiport, you have to remember that, to that effect, what counts is relative to the landing surface, so if it upslopes 15% then the flare is roughly equivalent to that of a 1500fpm approach vs 500fpm, so you need more g’s for longer.

I still don’t see why you connect AOA during approach to glidepath angle or VSI for a given IAS: it will only be relevant if you “destabilize” the approach (cut the throttle or flare )

Antonio
LESB, Spain

THis video of the whole flight Peyresourde to Bagneres de Luchon includes the same afore-referred landing from a different cockpit perspective. Landing from approx 12:00. It clearly shows the nose coming down at throttle reduction post obstacle despite the yoke not being pushed, and IAS remaining constant until flare initiation, trying to replicate the above POH procedure.

Last Edited by Antonio at 12 Nov 21:37
Antonio
LESB, Spain

it will only be relevant if you “destabilize” the approach (cut the throttle or flare )

We agree read what I wrote (I did not write the opposite)

Oh, I see what you mean…you are referring to AOA during the flare, not the stabilized portion of the approach.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

what a nice leg!

LFMD, France

Sorry Greg, aren’t both of my legs nice?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
Last Edited by greg_mp at 13 Nov 08:14
LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message