Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip to Southern Spain

I plan 10-days trip to Southern Spain (probable destination is Malaga LEMG) flying from Zagreb (LDZA) with one refueling spot somewhere in the middle. On destination I plan to take rental car and visit Granada, Cordoba, Sevilla and maybe Gibraltar. On the way there I thought abour refueling at Girona or Sabadell and on the way back maybe Marseille or Nice. Any thoughts, tips and recommendations for the airports?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I once refueled in Girona but it’s several years ago. It was OK but I think it’s a quite expensive place now. Sabadell is OK but it’s VFR only. Fuel in France is certainly cheaper than in Spain. Perpignan (LFMP) is close to the Spanish border but it’s not very convenient (complicated and long ways to taxi and walk). Béziers (LFMU) is a bit more to east but I found it very convenient: reasonably priced, quick and friendly. Granada (LEGR) is probably one of the best airports in southern Spain reasonable fees and no need to contract a handling agent. So if you plan to visit the city, why not fly there?

Last Edited by terbang at 24 Jun 12:47
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

You might as well just fly to Granada, Cordoba and Sevilla. I did that about 2 years ago. Both Granada and Cordoba are sufficiently small to be accessible by foot. Both airports are no problem for GA. Cordoba is VFR only.

Be sure to also look at the AIP for refuelling telefone numbers. We called immediately after touchdown, and the refuellers arrived at the parking spot about the same time as we did, so that worked very efficiently.

Seville is a bit of a hassle for payment, you have to go airside to pay, then back landside and again airside via another gate. That takes at least half an hour.

LSZK, Switzerland

I can see there are two airports close to Granada but I guess Lorca is the civil one while the other is military.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Malaga is very expensive, probably 300+. I agree that Granada is a lot easier.
As to an intermediate stop, if in Spain: Girona expensive, Sabadell is not a bad place. A really nice, small, informal VFR field is Ampuriabrava (LEAP) just over the border in Spain, so south of the Pyrenees and a higher probability of good weather. Mind the para jumpers though.
You could also do Mallorca (LESB) for a fuel stop, that’s going to save you some miles, but means a lot of boring over-water flying. If you do, let me know and if I’m here we’ll have a cup of coffee.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Forgot: LEAX, Malaga-Velez. Closer to Malaga, have jet fuel now. Don’t know how easy to get a rental car or transport into Malaga though.

What about Mutxamel LEMU near Alicante? Seems to tick a lot of boxes. Never been there but been reading positive things about it and considering flying there.

I get better routing to Sabadell than to Mallorca but it sounds like good idea, maybe we’ll spend a day there on our way back.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

achimha wrote:

What about Mutxamel LEMU near Alicante?

Maybe … I have a friend who lives in Alicante … it’s worth of checking.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes, an option, but I assumed you wanted to make an intermediate stop a litle less far from yr dep field.
I have not been there, but have heard good things about the field. Privately run AFAIK, do call beforehand..

35 Posts
Sign in to add your message