Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Surprising outdoor museum in Mannheim (EDFM)

10 Posts

Today we did a short flight from Stuttgart (EDDS) to Mannheim (EDFM) to visit fabulous Murals there. A few days ago I was reading an article about street art. I found a nice location in France and asked Jane to have a look on it on the internet. She misunderstood the URL and came up with Mannheim and the Murals. So the decision was made and we had found our destination for this weekend. Hopefully you will enjoy this trip report although there are only a few inflight pictures. On our departure it was raining, but cloudbase and visibility was okay.

I have prepared the trip on Koomot for a 22 kilometers ride, passing most of the Murals.

So after a few minutes we found the first ones. And with every new Mural it starts to get better and better.

Latest with the painted silhouette above @terbang should have recognized, that we made it to his homebase. I‘m interested, if he has ever realized that he is living inside a huge art gallery.

The fish you will find at the main station at Mannheim. After that we went back to the airfield and had an nice flight back.

EDFM is a good location for a short trip, even an IFR approach is available. And if you don‘t have foldable bikes with you, you may rent them on the field.

EDDS , Germany

Beautiful! Very refreshing to see this, compared to the worldwide plague of mostly senseless graffiti.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Speaking of street art, the most interesting examples I have seen were in Quito, Ecuador:

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ha, Mannheim! Actually not one of the touristic hotspots in Germany

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Amazing paintings. Presumably they are done from scaffolding and not by someone dangling off the roof on a rope in the middle of the night

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

eddsPeter wrote:

EDFM is a good location for a short trip, even an IFR approach is available

Note however, that you need to have been instructed if you want to make an IFR approach there. It used to be a self declaration, but from what I’ve heard this now needs to be in fact a flight with a local instructor, and you need to be current in the last 12 months or so, or have another flight with an instructor.

EDFM has about 900m Runway and a rather steep approach.

Germany

Interesting trip, I wonder they don’t allow low flying over Mannheim? it has to be the old way of walking unlike hunting for chalk horses or crop circle?

UdoR wrote:

I’ve heard this now needs to be in fact a flight with a local instructor

So now eddsPeter needs to change his living adress to tick the box ?!

Is this for training or in general? curious to know why one can’t make IFR approach to Mannheim on a visit to land? some places seems to have similar restrictions for IFR approach & circling, like Lugano, but the reasons are pretty obvious from looking at the plate drawings without reading any text…

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 May 13:10
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ultranomad wrote:

Speaking of street art

Here is one a bit closer to home …

The runway in Mannheim is officially 1066m, almost 1100m in reality but there are obstacles. The approach is 6.5%, really not dramatic in a small plane. In fact there is this local regulation, that you have to do three approaches with an FI (any FI) before you are allowed to do instrument approaches into Mannheim.
The reason for that is a very GA unfriendly local administration (Regierungspräsidium). The airport hates this regulation.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Thanks for the details terbang, I imagined that did come from being too short to have LOC approach (was it ILS & Category C previously?) but for RNP in small Category A aeroplanes it’s just the usual length & surroundings

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message