Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Barcelona Area - Sabadell (El Prat LEBL, or Sabadell LELL) or Girona LEGE

Peter wrote:

For a handling-avoidance discussion check the Menorca 2017 thread.

There are other threads with good advices on this topic in Spain (I cant exactly remember which ones but I guess “search” can find them) and I managed to avoid it almost always (wherever it’s not explicitly mandatory). However, speaking Spanish helps a lot.

Peter wrote:

It used to be said that contacting Spanish airports was a waste of time

I don’t share such experience. I’m pretty sure all my mails to Spanish airports were answered pretty quickly – sometimes I write in English, sometimes in Spanish but I didn’t notice the difference in responsiveness.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Maybe sending “easy” English emails helps?
ACK, Handling, Reg, Type & Date?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

I’m not sure how much you can get them to accept 10EUR fee? Is it written in law?

Yes, indeed. It is the regulated fee that AENA imposes to concessionaire handlers (usually Iberia) for the ‘transport at ramp’ (9.16 € per service), which usually is the only service you need from them (if the airport requires it). Usually they will try to add whatever concept on top (not regulated and not required by you) and charge as much as they want for it. You know, if it works, so much the better (for them! )

You can have a look at AENA price guide , pages 77-81

edit: Forgot to add that sometimes they can be as slick as an eel trying to make you pay more than needed, so at the end it’s up to you to decide if it is worthy enough to continue or you can go with their BAFO and put an end to the bargaining

Last Edited by Coolhand at 13 May 14:02
LECU - Madrid, Spain

I am a member of AOPA-Spain. A few years ago, when the issue with obligatory handling was a constant headache (as opposed to an occasional one like now), we compiled this guide for our website and also handed it out at our stand at the AERO. I believe the info is still valid today:

CIRCULAR: HANDLING FOR GENERAL AVIATION

There are two options available for GA operations that are subject to obligatory handling services:

1. Contracting one of the officially designated handling agents (ramp service providers)
2. Contracting an independent General Aviation handling agent
Information about at which airports handling is obligatory, as well as the contact details of the relevant handling agents can be found in the AIP for each airport.

If you choose OPTION 1 (contracting one of the officially designated handling agents):
In line with current legislation (RD 11161/99), “handling agents” officially designated as such by AENA are obliged to attend to all handling service requests at the airport, including those for General Aviation.
The mandatory minimum service for COMPLEMENTARY RAMP SERVICES comprises providing and managing the appropriate equipment for the transport of passengers and/or crew between the aircraft and the terminal. For aircraft classes 4A, 4B, 4C, this is a minibus. The maximum chargeable rate (per journey) is 9€ per service.
(For example: transportation between aircraft and the terminal for the payment of fees once a flight plan has been completed)
The list of concessionaire handling agents for providing this service can be found in the AENA Tariff Guide (Chapter 5 – Handling Services), as well as via the following link to the AENA web page:
http://www.aena.es/es/aerolineas/agentes-handling.html
AENA has established maximum fees that handling agents may charge for ground assistance services provided to their customers. These fees can also be consulted in the AENA Tariff Guide (Chapter 5 – Handling Services) and via the following link to the Aena website:
http://www.aena.es/es/aerolineas/tarifas.html
In addition to this, in some cases AENA concessionaire agents have committed to certain discounts for their services. Please contact the relevant agent or [email protected] further information.

If, however, you choose OPTION 2 (contracting an independent General Aviation handling agent):
“General aviation agents” are companies authorised to provide handling services in line with current legislation (RD 1161/99), which liberalises access to this market for companies providing services exclusively for GA aircraft performing general aviation ops, air work or non-scheduled commercial air transport operations, with a MTOW of less than 10t and fewer than 20 seats, provided that the charterer or charterers do not sell part of their capacity on to third parties. Therefore, independent agents are free to fix their own rates, and the AENA-established maximum rates are not applicable.
Recommendations:
- Ask your handling agent to provide you with an invoice itemising the services provided
- Solicit information about the authorised handling agents at your destination airport when submitting your flight plan
- Contact Operations at your destination airport via the established communication channels

LERM, Spain

Does anyone know of any facility to re-fill oxygen at Girona? I’ve got a full bottle but wouldn’t mind going at FL160 on the way back and having a full bottle coming back to London. If not, then I’ll have to re-think the return as we won’t have much oxy coming back.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

This is an old problem. See the oxygen thread. In short, relying on an airport refill is generally impossible and if you can find some they are for bizjets and very expensive (3 digits). Best carry a second cylinder and/or a large composite cylinder.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Assuming you found a provider, the prices are usually very expensive, you could get charged, ahem scammed, with +300£ for MH cylinder refill and +15£/L for TKS fluid

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 May 11:54

I would try to contact the Aeroclub La Cerdanya. The glider pilots over there certainly know how to get their MH cylinders refilled (and presumably some of them are from Girona). A further option would be to ask at a diving centre.

Germany

That is a nice suggestion and they will surely have cheap O2, I would add stop at LaCerdanya while not the typical IFR airport with wake turbulence on final or JetA truck but still one of the best Spanish AOPA airports…

goflysoon wrote:

The mandatory minimum service for COMPLEMENTARY RAMP SERVICES comprises providing and managing the appropriate equipment for the transport of passengers and/or crew between the aircraft and the terminal. For aircraft classes 4A, 4B, 4C, this is a minibus. The maximum chargeable rate (per journey) is 9€ per service.

It looks like in the end Iberia charged me 7.79 for each crew minivan journey. Due to wanting to sort a few things with the aircraft and not be sat on the ramp in the heat waiting for our slot, they charged us for 4 journeys. I’ll probably put the report up soon of the costs.

Peter wrote:

This is an old problem. See the oxygen thread. In short, relying on an airport refill is generally impossible and if you can find some they are for bizjets and very expensive (3 digits). Best carry a second cylinder and/or a large composite cylinder.

I didn’t actually need to refill, we did FL130 down then FL120/FL100 for the last few hours and still had half a bottle. We did FL120 on the way back up for the last 3 hours of the flight and that gave me still over a 1/3 of a bottle left.

HK-36R wrote:

I would try to contact the Aeroclub La Cerdanya. The glider pilots over there certainly know how to get their MH cylinders refilled (and presumably some of them are from Girona). A further option would be to ask at a diving centre.

Didn’t see this till now sadly. I do wonder how keen Iberia, AENA and co would have been taking an oxygen bottle through security. Lol

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message