Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR to Ibiza LEIB feasibility

I’ve never flew OVER Mallorca, but I’m not sure whether you’re going to be getting a lot of applause from ATC if you want to do a direct POS from the North and then overhead PMI. A constant stream of arrivals roughly through POS. Let us know how they treated you!

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I just rang Iberia, got someone a bit more helpful than last time. (It wasn’t that he wasn’t helpful, it sounded like he was about to run down the runway…)

They want my usual details + VISA details. I mean, what details do I give them? I don’t fancy giving my bank details (Especially the back number on the card going to them??)

Please advise what you all think.

aart wrote:

I’ve never flew OVER Mallorca, but I’m not sure whether you’re going to be getting a lot of applause from ATC if you want to do a direct POS from the North and then overhead PMI. A constant stream of arrivals roughly through POS. Let us know how they treated you!

Haha yes! I suspect they’ll take me to the North, which is probably slightly fewer track miles. You’ll be able to track me on the day, I’ll pop a message in here when and if I reach Beziers.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

I would have no issue giving them credit card details if I intended to purchase something from them.

With a credit card there’s little risk, since if they charge for something you didn’t agree to up front then you just call your card company, explain you didn’t authorise that amount and they reverse the charge. Don’t do this while your aircraft is still on their tarmac.

It’s a little irritating to be asked for them up front when they could quite easily take them at the point where they actually have a final invoice to present you with, but hey ho you are going somewhere that isn’t really geared up to receive you so challenges must be expected.

Last Edited by Graham at 17 Aug 12:22
EGLM & EGTN

They want my usual details + VISA details. I mean, what details do I give them? I don’t fancy giving my bank details 

There are few ways around this, cards like those by Revolut & Monzo will sort you out, especially as you approve transactions by clicking on your phone

As said above, Credit Card give lot of protection, you still have to get a refund or complain to your card provider if you are not happy with the bill or you think it’s a fraud

PS: never pay JetA fuel with fuel cards, use your credit card if you can, it took 3 months to get 240€ back from World Fuels in Lille (with credit cards, I would get money back within one week if it’s a fraud or mis-sold c**p)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

All,

I had to cancel the flight(s) due to a) Fatigue as a result of my first night shifts in 2.5 years, so did not believe it was safe to fly 9 hours with no sleep and b) there was severe thunderstorms stretching from Girona to North of Palma and all across the Pyrenees. So I had no routing except a deviation to the east then south of Palma adding 1.5-2hrs.

Whilst I could have landed into LFMU, DLA the flight plan and either gone VFR/Rescheduled the IFR slots and flew once it had cleared up as the commercial flight was smooth and the storms had drifted off into Italy. The TAFs weren’t convincing and I didn’t take the risk due to lack of sleep,

I will be keen/hellbent on doing this in September and maybe deciding on routes/airports for stops on the days before rather than 2 weeks before.

Storms aside I think if you don’t feel safe, nor have the experience in dealing with 38000ft thunderstorms then I’d say this is a good choice.

Thanks @Ibra @Graham – I’ll look at using my CC. I’ve had no issues with my AirBP but both Girona and Germany charge over wing fees it seems making £1.40 a litre become £2.50 a litre.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 21 Aug 11:08
EGSG, United Kingdom

Looking at making another attempt via a Stop in Southern France this coming week.

Is MONTPELLIER a good option? I know BEZIERS was recommended due to cheap fuel, but LFMT seems to have good hotel options nearby if I was to fly down Wednesday Evening and or stay for a night on the return trip.

EGSG, United Kingdom

A search for LFMT digs out good data and there is our airport database which has a few reports.

It looks like a good airport. C+I available

and cheap. Haven’t been there yet but plan to soon. The other good place is Beziers LFMU – see the database for reports.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, don’t hesitate to use LFMT for a night stop.

LFOU, France

LFMT is great and they have lots of hotels e.t.c. in the immediate vicinity.

Both the city and the beach up front are worth visiting. Come to think that it may well be a great place to go as the main destination, rent a car for 2-3 days and do a bit of the area. From MPL there are fun places to visit: Aigues Mortes and Le Grau du Roi are practically next door along the Grande Traverse, Les Stes Maries de la Mer is a bit further but very reachable, so is Sete to the West.

For a pure overnight close by, there are several hotels at the airport itself, amongst which an Ibis and there is a “Navette” going to the city, from where other public transport is available.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 18 Sep 09:43
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Avignon LFMV is also an option to consider. Hotel right at the airport

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
Sign in to add your message