Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help UK to Montenegro (Tivat) and return hopefully!

Hi All,
I’m new to this forum, but looks a good informative one for adventures beyond UK shores, I am looking at flying from UK (Seething EGSJ) to Tivat in Montenegro, in a Cessna 150 so it will be slow (expect 3-4 days assume will average 70kts) but I like seeing the topography! I’m trying to get an outline of a route together, thus I am thinking UK to Calais and clear customs etc. Then down through the south of France east of Paris to northern Italy. I am not instrument rated so VFR all the way and with say 4hrs or so endurance (will need a few fuelling stops!) and realistically climbing to above 9000ft you can time with a calendar! So bearing in mind airspace in Italy seems confusing is it better to fly across N. Italy and down the Croatian coast or down the east side of the Italian coast and across to Tivat? Then it seems Croatian flight plans have to be checked with a phone call etc and I have no info on Montenegro. Thus any help advice would be most gratefully received. I obviously do have skydemon and have flown in France a few times, but overall low hours currently, but I do like to land away when I can.

MikeG

EGSJ, United Kingdom

Hi Mike,

the little issue is that if going from east of Paris into Northern Italy, all the Alpine passes that „make sense“ are rather high, so that might be a small issue in the 150. I assume you go one-up? In that case, leaving just north of the Alps very early in the morning sure is a good idea and should make it possible. The Brenner pass is the lowest of them all, but that one would likely be a bit of a detour for you.

Yes, Italian airspace is a bit confusing, but that doesn‘t really mean it is difficult. In the greater Milan area, you have to stay below the class A TMA. For the rest, just stay clear of all the CTRs (or get a clearance). Let FIS „stear“ you to some degree (even though doing the RT is always a bit tiring for those not used to Italian FIS).

No strict need to confirm VFR flight plans in Croatia (although it is sometimes a good idea).

Remember there is absolutely no Avgas both in Tivat and Podgorica. Montenegro airports don‘t seem to be very interested in the piston riff raff too much. So Dubrovnik will likely have to be a fuel stop for you. But absolutely avoid Saturdays at LDDU, as its mayhem then and you won‘t get any fuel.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Apr 17:08
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

You could also fly east through Germany and then cross the Alps in the eastern part of Austria. The cumulugranitus isn’t very high there and a C150 will do that route easily.

I have always wanted to visit Tivat. Let us know how it goes.

EGTK Oxford

Brilliant! thanks very much for the info so far!!! I am flying 2 up but we don’t weigh very much (companion also PPL holder and has a house there!) and its a zero timed engine with about 120hrs on it! I will take on board all info, I thought Dubrovnik might be a stop over for fuelling so not on Saturday tip is invaluable, but I can run on Mogas! just dragging a load of fuel cans to Tivat airfield is not my idea of fun! I’m not worried about taking a longer route as would sooner be safe than a statistic! If I do make it then rest assured I will post the trip with my tips, as others may then feel inclined to do more than a couple of days around France from the UK.

Mike

EGSJ, United Kingdom

Welcome Mike !

I would rather plan for the Brenner if I were you. And my plan B would be the east of the alps, in the Vienna area.

What kind of trip is it ? Do you want to enjoy some places on the way, or just go there as quickly and cheap as possible ?

LFOU, France

Hi Jujupilote,
Thanks for the reply, its a just a jolly so expect a total duration of about 2 weeks, not as fast and cheap as possible, obviously to increase my experience and confidence and have an enjoyable time. I was thinking a route avoiding mountains as I have no experience of these, so Calais and do the formalities as well as top up with fuel. Then towards Chalons and south towards Dijon. After that toward Nice but landing in Corsica, then across to possibly Pescara for customs as leaving Schengen and either to Dubrovnik for fuel and onto Tivat or via Dubrovnik for fuel on the return leg. However I haven’t checked all this through thoroughly at all yet and need to take on board all the community are helping me with … so much appreciated!

MikeG

EGSJ, United Kingdom

Ah, so you want to see Corsica

As I assume you don’t speak French, I would say :
- LFSD Dijon Longvic : ex air base, Indian restaurant on site, AFIS and fuel via credit card
- LFMQ Le Castellet : a bit posh, but a nearby hotel/restaurant can pick you up at the terminal, AFIS and fuel

In Corsica, Calvi looks easier than Bastia but others have more feedback.

For the way back, I would recommend taking a different route, like the whole Croatian coast, Portoroz (cheap fuel), Austria. In eastern France, Colmar LFGA is a nice destination and a practical stop.

LFOU, France

A C150 has a practical range (allowing for alternates, in the part of Europe where avgas is widely available) of something like 300nm, so this will be a number of legs.

I should do about 8000ft so crossing the Alps in the right place should work and will be highly scenic, but you need really good weather to do this. Any kind of cloud cover over the Alps and you can’t do it (unless you are really clever in the planning and know how to get the mountain weather reports etc).

The Adriatic is hugely scenic. It is like flying in a wonderland. Hundreds of little islands as far as the eye can see. It’s going to be an amazing trip. And you have avgas all the way down: Portoroz, Pula, Mali Losinj, Zadar, Brac, Dubrovnik… all super easy welcoming airports.

I have some trip reports here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you so much for the advice and links, Peter has quite a few so I have some reading to do there, yes I speak little French but can speak Khmer! but not so much call for that. In discussion it has been suggested to me that flying over the water legs will not be very interesting and noting Peters point about the Adriatic I should like to include that. May I ask how does going from Schengen to non Schengen work is it land at an appropriate Italian airfield do customs and file the flight plan for the next destination and so on, and the reverse to enter Italy i.e like UK to France. This is all going to be another quantum leap in my experience like the first time to France!!

MikeG

EGSJ, United Kingdom
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message