Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Travel between Switzerland (and Norway?) and other Schengen countries, especially France

From driving experience, I can confirm that Swiss officials at the border have always asked if I was carrying any commercial goods (took me some time to understand “Ware” …) but only rarely have they wanted to see a proof of identity.

Last Edited by at 06 May 12:03
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

So, what does this mean

In international airport data terms, “Customs” means you can fly in or out of there.

I went there in 2004 and it had “exit Customs” which mean you could depart Switzerland from there but not arrive.

Last Edited by Peter at 06 May 12:06
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It has both entry and exit customs (to Schengen only). You can only import goods up to the 300 CHF customs allowance. You need to fill this:

http://www.flugplatz-mollis.ch/Fluganmeldung/zollAnmeldung/ZollForm.php?ad=LSPV

One and a half hours before departure and two and a half before arrival. Then confirm by phone that they have it and it’s all good. You also need to inform them of any delays so they can update ETA with customs / police. Same as going to the US really (but waaaay simpler).

Auf deutsch:

http://www.flugplatzwangen.ch/piloten/zoll-lspv

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 06 May 12:16

OK, but in 2004 I could have departed from LSPV back to the UK, by giving Customs PNR (to Zurich by fax, 6hrs or some such). I checked this at the time.

So this suggests that Switzerland entering Schengen has reduced the options. The word “Customs” no longer means anything, unless you start wading through local regulations.

From current Navbox Pro:

Everybody has goods to declare, practically speaking.

Last Edited by Peter at 06 May 12:25
Administrator

Everybody has goods to declare, practically speaking.

Not so. The issue is really about “commercial goods”, i.e. import/export for trade. Personal stuff, food and drink, fuel, a/c accessories are not in scope.

I have a distant memory of some vague relation of mine driving home from Italy with a brand new xyz on board, and was kindly provided by the manufacturer with an invoice for repair and maintenance of said xyz, just in case those … Swiss would ask … questions.

But when I was once required to hurry to Slovenia for an emergency repair on the 31st of December, and had to stuff my van with every possibly required spare part for the exotic server that gave up at the worst possible moment, I gave my beloved CH a wide berth.

Last Edited by at 06 May 12:36
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Yep, 2004 Switzerland was not Schengen yet. Navbox pro appears to be inaccurate.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 06 May 12:46

Don’t rely on Navbox, Jeppesen or the like for this information. Look at the airfield’s web page. This whole distinction between customs and border police is too subtle to trust the airport directory companies. Also it tends to change quickly. Our airfield got customs status revoked recently (but not airport of entry status!). Luckily that only affects me when coming back from Switzerland (due to the concession leaving the EU). Fortunately I can’t afford flying to Switzerland…

I don’t see this changing unless Switzerland join the EU (which is a possibility).

Possibility? After they just voted with great majority to kick as many foreigners out of their country as possible… No way.

EDDS - Stuttgart

It’s really simple and clear but for some reason you don’t want to see it as that

Don’t rely on Navbox, Jeppesen or the like for this information. Look at the airfield’s web page. This whole distinction between customs and border police is too subtle to trust the airport directory companies. Also it tends to change quickly. Our airfield got customs status revoked recently (but not airport of entry status!). Luckily that only affects me when coming back from Switzerland (due to the concession leaving the EU)

Simple?

Anyway, how can you be a Port of entry but not have Customs? That’s a joke.

Administrator

Anyway, how can you be a Port of entry but not have Customs? That’s a joke.

I think I had summarized the rationale behind that. Passport control can be done remotely via delegation, customs check not.

Last Edited by achimha at 06 May 14:10
Sign in to add your message