Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Traffic for an RV7A

Peter wrote:

How long has the NGT-9000 been out?

Just over a year. Do note there are some diffent versions. The NGT-9000 (without plus sign) doesn’t have active traffic, so for requested solution only the NGT-9000+ would do the job. An online simulator is available here and available as app for IOS and Android.

Peter wrote:

The Avidyne boxes drive most stuff, via ARINC429.

While it can drive quote a lot displays over ARINC 429, it also can do this for most boxes over RS-232. the preferd methode would be to use RS-232. The ARINC labels limit the amount of data which can be displayed over ARINC 429, while it also lacks control from display to TAS box. The non A models can have upto four RS-232 displays, and the dash A models can have upto six displays. On TAS installations I usually wire to all possible displays, enabling traffic to all displays. The customer can then try and see which display he likes best. Traffic on the other displays is either left on or disabled in configuration depending on which display the customer likes best.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

How long has the NGT-9000 been out?

When I was researching active TAS options, everybody I could find, including everybody who has installed one, involved the Avidyne (formerly Ryan) boxes, and Garmin in a few cases.

My TAS605 works OK but the 12 o’clock range is only about 2nm. This is probably the antenna position and I wonder if another system might be more sensitive?

There is also display device compatibility to consider. The Avidyne boxes drive most stuff, via ARINC429. When the RAF had the famous 2xGrob mid-air some years ago, Lees Avionics in the UK got the contract to fit the TAS6xx into every one and they installed a Sandel SN3500 EHSI as the display device. That is what I have too (2x) plus an old KMD550. Actually it was hilarious that the RAF went this way instead of promoting the “Mk 1 eyeball” more heavily (it’s like god asking the devil for advice) but that is another debate

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

ValerioM wrote:

I guess the only options with a decent utility in Europe are the TAS600/605 or GTS800. Anybody selling any or recommending a good source to buy one?

Until ADS-B is more wide spread the best useable systems are these systems. They don’t come cheap, and it will be hard finding a used one. There are good when properly installed and tend to stay in aircraft. You might also take a look at the L3 skywatch systems, which are similair, or to the L3 Lynx NGT-9000+ which combines a mode S transponder with ADS-B IN and OUT with an active traffic device, to detect non ADS-B mode A / C / S targets.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I’m currently considering a Pilotaware install.

Forever learning
EGTB

I’m almost done with building an RV7A as well. It has G3X and GTN750. I’m now looking for a traffic system for Europe without spending a fortune (new or refurbished, 8130 not necessary if from trusted source). I guess the only options with a decent utility in Europe are the TAS600/605 or GTS800. Anybody selling any or recommending a good source to buy one? Any other model I should look at?

The canopy went back on this morning and the TAS installation was finally completed after five weeks. Ground testing looked OK so we went for a test flight. Everything seemed to work exactly as it should which was a great relief. Still some testing to do but first impressions are really good. We had concerns about the top antennas view “through” the prop, several loops of coax in the back end (min cable length is 15’) our own ability etc. but it seems all our concerns were unfounded. Very many thanks to SteveN, RGV and the forum for help and support.

Last Edited by waveflyer at 13 Dec 17:22

@Jesse here is the expert but I looked into this too.

BTW the N-number display works only with very specific display devices. I have seen it working in a Cessna 400 some years ago; it was nice but obviously of limited use in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Neil
I can’t see much advantage in the Skywatch system for my particular application.

http://www.avidyne.com/publications/guides/AV679_Choosing_Traffic.pdf

Chart on page 12-13.

Not convinced by this prop obstruction stuff on SEPs. A quick calculation shows in the cruise his prop is rotating once every 3 metres or so.
As we know that is plenty slow enough to let birds fly though it untouched so I can’t see him missing too many microsecond length responses to his pings

As to target range, 5 miles is 1 minute warning at a closing speed of 260kts or 30 second warning at 520kts. Even 30 seconds is plenty enough time to react when the TAS600 is audibly telling you exactly where it is. No need to look at a screen to decide.

At typical light GA closing speeds he should have 1 minute, enough time for a sip of coffee and relaxed fart before reacting :)

We will see…

Last Edited by SteveN at 05 Dec 23:42
Gloucester UK (EGBJ)

Expensive TCAS 1 such as Skywatch and TCAS 2 definitely sees targets a lot further out than 5 miles, including light GA. I think that tends to point towards limited performance of the TAS600 installation on SEPs. Maybe the propellor is an issue looking forward? That’s a bit of an issue as it’s what’s in front that worries me…..

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
55 Posts
Sign in to add your message