Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for someone to do a prebuy on a Kitfox

This is for a friend of mine. I contacted one LAA inspector (who I thought would be a good start) who I know locally but he is not interested.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Better be thorough on that prebuy, I lost two friends in a Kitfox crash they bought from somebody else almost finished, and were subsequently not too happy with the build quality…

LSZK, Switzerland

Isn’t it always advisable to be thorough on the prebuy? But even more so on a homebuilt, I agree. The weak point on my (UK-reg.) Europa was definitely the electrical wiring/connections, which were completely renewed.

IIRC Jan Olieslagers in this Forum owns a Kitfox/Eurofox?

Last Edited by europaxs at 06 Oct 08:08
EDLE

FWIW I have recently seen one new Kitfox project and that arrived with the airframe fully built. The syndicate that bought it did the panel layout, mounting the engine onto the firewall, wiring and plumbing.

Administrator

You have to find an exemplar from someone who loves building even more than flying (they do exist). I visited a friend in Holland last week who builts an RV7A – you won’t find any better factory built aircraft.

Unfortunately there are also “the others” who think they can get a kit flying whithin a short time without spending much money – and there are the kit manufacturers who make those believe it is possible…..

EDLE

europaxs wrote:

and there are the kit manufacturers who make those believe it is possible

The kit manufacturers say that anyone can build an aircraft from their kit. And so anyone does. The real problem however (in the extent it really is a problem) is that anyone can produce kits.

My best advice is to find someone who has built and used a Kitfox. The usual certified mechanic may do more harm than good, unless he is into homebuilding himself.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I should add this is a float plane (a seaplane).

My best advice is to find someone who has built and used a Kitfox

I would phrase that as “someone who has really well built and used a Kitfox”. Building standards can vary massively.

Administrator

I actually fly an Apollo Fox which is derived from the EuroFox which is derived from the Kitfox.

Peter, where is the to_be_inspected plane located? You spoke of an LAA person so I reckon it is in UK?
If in BE or nearby I could recommend someone here in (Eastern) Belgium.
There is someone in UK I could recommend, too, but you know him at least as well as I do…

Last Edited by at 06 Oct 09:51
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Location is south west UK.

Administrator

Out of curiosity: is it the intention to keep it on floats? Will LAA approve that? And, as I understand, UK law requires operation from a designated water aerodrome and there are not many of those?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message