Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Totally embarrassed by a commercial pilot...

Flyer59 wrote:

I think it’s a new class of pilots, and sometimes i see that kinde with the local flight school.

At least in the UK university fees have just become such that you can probably do a modular course for the same price as an university degree, and the headline salaries seem reasonably high. But do the airlines not manage to detect people who are simply not interested in aviation for its own sake? Or do they just not care?

I think most of them are not looking for passion in their candidates. After all, passionate pilots can bring their own set of problems to the highly regulated world of airline flight ops. Lubitz would be one case.

I think that after Lubitz, they will be looking even more to get stay away from very passionate pilots.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Nov 20:04
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The interview and simulator rides usually weed out question bank jockeys, but that doesn’t mean they are good handling pilots for GA.

Anecdotal feedback from the regulators seems to be that the MPL route (which bypasses a PPL entirely) is not proving to be a panacea.

The US carriers are now offering sign on bonuses for newbies so pay to fly schemes, and airline HR departments as profit centres may be historical blip, if what appears to be a real pilot shortage gathers steam.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

kwlf wrote:

At least in the UK university fees have just become such that you can probably do a modular course for the same price as an university degree

The maximum tuition fee is £9,000 per year. The usual degree course is 3 years. Where can you get a modular ATPL course for £27,000???

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Flyer59

Please tell me who the " most people in the industry" are ? and please tell me why they think the pilot/machine interface is so good……. In fact so good that only days after entering service an A320 was flown into a Forrest in VMC ? or how two pilots selected V/S instead of FPA and drove the aircraft into the side of a hill ? or how two pilots fly the aircraft from FL330 in the full stall into the sea ?

Part of the Airbus problem is that the engineers had far too big a part in the design of the pilot/machine interface and moved the pilot too far out of the loop.

The last thing I have to ask is have you flown the B737 or Airbus.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 12 Nov 20:23

Oops, didn’t want to turn this into an A vs. B debate; maybe we should start a different thread for that?

But one quote that I read on a summary about the SR22 probably fits this very well: “Technology simplifies that which is complicated, and complicates that which was simple.”

This lecturer sounds like he’s out of touch with current practice. There are doubtless airline guys on here, but those who I have spoken to tell me they fly these sort of NPAs on the FMS. Whatever the nav source on the FMS it won’t be ADF!

I think it is most likely you were right and he was wrong! :)

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Sounds a bit of an amateur to me.

- because even if he had a valid point, professionals dont behave in that way.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 12 Nov 20:30

… only days after entering service an A320 was flown into a Forrest in VMC ? or how two pilots selected V/S instead of FPA and drove the aircraft into the side of a hill ? or how two pilots fly the aircraft from FL330 in the full stall into the sea ?

These statements show so much bias that it’s hard to answer them. The first two incidents were both clearly pilot mistakes and they were both in the very early stages of the program. You know, if you know anything about the topic, that these issues were solved and that the first one was a stupid pilot mistake. The A330 finally was clearly an issue that had to with pilot training (plus partly with the issue regrading the pitot tubes). Similar accidents where Boeing airplanes crashed out if control happened.

No, I have not flown both Airplanes, simply because I’m “only” a private pilot. But I have discussed these topics extensively with people all around the airline industry and actually i have lately discussed it with my friend who flies A340-600 and who flew 747s for ten years and 737s before that. Before that he was an instructor for the Tornado in the german Navy. Isn’t it interesting that he thinks the Airbus concept is superior?

And where are your statistics that support your opinion? What you mentioned has anecdotal value only and says nothing about the safety of the Airbus.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 12 Nov 20:45

Fatal crash rates per million flights

Model, Rate, Flights (Million), Events

• Airbus A320/318/319/321 0.11 … 79.17 … 12
    Boeing 737 (all models) 0.28 … 175.61M … 73

Source: Airsafe.com

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 12 Nov 20:41
Sign in to add your message