Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The fastest IFR-tourer SEP, practical or not

Adam,

That’s some aircraft!

I am pretty sure one of the latest Earth Rounders has just recently completed his trip in one of them.
That 300hp can equate to 245 knots seems possible when taking the gear out of the wind.
Might need a better gear set-up/rigging though.

For the engineering savvy coforumites – where is the pivot point on that gear setup as it touches down? Strut attachment or axle?

The only taker needs +450HP AND retract ????

Hah ! I think that singularly say it all right there !

That said, as pointed out, my challenge is for ANY certified production plane, including turbos up to 7,000’

Might actually be close down low, against the Silver Eagle. I’ll have to check the POH.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

as it seems to be a bit of a speed race here

this would be also a entry for it but only 2 seater and non cert.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Stoddard-Hamilton-Glasair-III/1783766/L/

fly2000

Why this limit to 7K ft? My limit at this altitude is IAS so I can’t use all power.

Why this limit to 7K ft?

Because else he would sacrifice too much power being normal aspirated.

I don’t get that race anyway, because it won’t allow the contestants each to be operated at optimum levels… any Turbo is designed to go high and keeping them down is just brutally cutting the performance to fit the contender…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

A sensible solution might be to race to the altitude of 7000 ft.

I would be more interested in the race for speed at a given altitude and a given fuel flow.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Vieke,

May be the point here is there are too many variants to make a race victory really meaningful.

Most non turbo petrol engined planes do the best MPG around 8000ft, though the curve is pretty flat there and you get pretty similar results from say 7000 to 12000ft.

The highest speed (regardless of fuel flow) will be at sea level, where the air is thickest

So to go fastest you need a turbo and it needs to be as powerful as possible, to give you the most MP as high as possible where the air is thinnest. So such a plane will always win, simply by flying high, even though the engine is delivering only sea level power.

So you could have a contest but it would prove little.

In the meantime, loads of IR holders fly without oxygen which, in Europe, is flying with one hand tied behind your back and with a couple of tiedown concrete blocks hanging off the wings

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message