Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tale of Woe! (a mystery prop strike) G-NONI

Just my thoughts Canuck. I’m looking into a replacement prop and 160 hp unit and I’ll get airborne.

It's not rocket science!

Nimbusgb wrote:

I’m looking into a replacement prop and 160 hp unit and I’ll get airborne.

Sounds like a plan. the important bit is that the insurance guys have seen the damage and give you the go ahead to fix it. Who pais what comes later.

Nimbusgb wrote:

This is turning into a ‘he said she said’ between the ground organisation, the delivery crew and the sales agent.
A third, mutually acceptable engineer is being called in to pronounce on who is responsible for the damage.
My insurers assessor is saying that the delivery pilot may not be covered under my policy.

So see to it that this engineer gets here asap and finishes off, so you can get around fixing the airplane.

Whoever is not covered in your policy and is responsible for the damage will have to pay himself or his organisation will have to caugh up. The one bit which is important to remember is that your opponents should never ever get the idea that you will give up, but that you WILL be satisfied or it’s the courts. It is quite likely that once the blame is adequately attributed, they will try to find an “amicable” solution. And you might mention btw that your hangarage since and to the moment that this plane flies again will also go into the damage claim…

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 16 May 15:07
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

How are you getting on Ian?

No advance!

Now 3 months in and it’s still a bun fight.

sick of it now.

Glorious weather to be flying and I’m stuck on the flippin ground with a knackered aircraft.

First £10k takes the plane off my hands!

It's not rocket science!

That’s very sad to hear, Nimbusgb. Did you not decide to get the plane fixed and chase the insurance etc afterwards, as per your post #91 above?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have too much going on at the moment. I have a string of overseas family and visitors and massive work pressure on so chasing unanswered quotes for undertaking the work just takes a back seat. This would need a fair amount of ‘project management’ to keep the costs under control and until I can get at least an idea of what the insurance company will be looking to contribute I don’t want to start tossing £15 to £20 k about on an aircraft that is coming up for annual ( with 2 hours or so flown in the year ) and needs an 8.33 radio and transponder on top of that.

It's not rocket science!

Update -

5 months in and I have just been informed by my broker that ‘this incident is not covered by your insurance’

So! Solicitors next……….

The broker who sold me the aircraft has offered to join me in going after them and there is a strong possibility the delivery pilot will jump it too.

Ahhhhh the joys of aircraft ownership!

It's not rocket science!

Well, this is really awful and it definitly is not what ownership is all about in most cases. But that does not help you.

What you need done is that this plane needs to be fixed and you can get airborne. Solicitors e.t.c. need to sort out the rest and at least the Broker and his pilot are going to join you. That is not the worst thing.

Now you need to find a new prop and either get your engine checked or get a replacement engine in place so you can start flying. Maybe your broker can help you with that as well.

Oh yes, and I’d change my insurer as well while you are at it.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 20 Jul 10:01

How horrible… but I have some 3 figure number of emails with horror stories where a prebuy wasn’t done for various reasons and the outcome was not good. You are far from the first and won’t be the last. Even though this issue isn’t a straight lack of a prebuy.

Remember that in UK law you have a duty to minimise your losses. For a silly but good example: if a storm rips off your roof, you have a duty to cover it up with a tarpaulin etc so rain doesn’t damage the rest of the house. You can’t just leave the house to rot and then claim off the insurance for it to be rebuilt.

So don’t leave the plane outdoors where it will rot, etc. The insurer will not pay out. They may also not pay out for the engine if it is corroded inside due to neglect.

So getting this plane fixed is a potential issue, if it is to be a subject of a legal action. Definitely get legal advice on this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Solicitors Monday morning if nothing moves

Social media campaign Monday afternoon as a start against the assessor ( looks like it may be the first time he has done this sort of thing ) and the insurance brokerage.

I now want them to write off the aircraft, leave me with the hull for £1 and compensate me for 5 months of storage.

What’s the value of a seasons flying and 5 months of frustration ( including some not inconsiderable stick from the ‘chief air traffic controller’ )

It's not rocket science!
Sign in to add your message