Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tale of Woe! (a mystery prop strike) G-NONI

Peter wrote:

If one was to consider this one seriously (and 30k is serious money) then one needs to ask questions like how long has it been standing around since the engine was done.
Also any work done prior to sale (by the seller) is inherently suspicious because you can be sure it will have been done by the cheapest shop available

All this can only be determined by a pre-buy inspection. Wondering and speculating about it will not yield any information.

Yes, 30k is a lot of money, but seeing that it has a freshly done engine (ok, not overhauled but shock load done, which should stil give it a pretty good bill of health) and a new prop together with a fairly decent airplane can make this one quite care free once the necessary avionic upgrade is done. And it is a fairly cheap airplane to run thereafter.

In the shoes of the seller, I’d have bit the bullet and gotten a mode S and 8.33 radio installed before putting it on the market. It would probably be gone by now.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Sorry to hear of such a sad state. I got very lucky with our first aircraft purchase as I didn’t have any major problems. It could have easily ended up worse, one of the reasons I really like people to make their experiences known, it can help those who have not gained much of an insight into how light ga can work.

If one was to consider this one seriously (and 30k is serious money) then one needs to ask questions like how long has it been standing around since the engine was done.

Also any work done prior to sale (by the seller) is inherently suspicious because you can be sure it will have been done by the cheapest shop available.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Actually, the seller promises to install a 8.33 radio and to hand over a transponder ;-)
Sounds like a good entry deal into GA ownership

(duck & hide)

EDM_, Germany

Peter_Mundy wrote:

Nothing wrong with it that a 25k avionics refit would not fix.

For a nice VFR tourer you don’t need to spend that much. Get a GTR225A com radio and a GTX335 mode S transponder and you’re done for about £4k + whatever installation costs.

Andreas IOM

Still ‘In to’ flying but no more than following the exploits of others. I have a premier wave flying site just up the road and have considered getting back into gliding but there are other things grabbing my time at the moment.

It's not rocket science!

Nimbusgb wrote:

Got pretty far down the line with suing Andy but couldn’t be ….

Congrats on having enough vision to avoid making this a lawyers’ pithole…it seems you would have spent more on lawyers than you were trying to recoup.

Thank you for assisting the community by conveying the clear message to do our due diligence whenever buying an aircraft, including when taking delivery of it!

This kind of incident is what insurances are for and if the seller did not pursue his own insurance so he could agree a solution with you then something was amiss: either he was not properly insured or some negligence was involved which made him think he would not be able to claim…either way, too bad for him. You can walk proud, he can only pretend he does and he will increasingly fail at convincing anyone else.

OTOH I am really sorry to see you out of aircraft ownership. Are you at least still into flying?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Swap the xpdr for a TT31 and put a 8.33 radio and whoever buys it is done for VFR. Maybe get rid of the ADF and put a portable GPS with a panel dock. 3k with installation? Nothing wrong with the DME and the Navs, they can stay.

As for the asking price… £12k for the engine check, new prop and whatever the buyer paid to Ian… just about adds up. And this is now a plane with a pretty safe engine and new prop so it won’t give the new owner a lot of investments in that sector.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Nimbusgb wrote:

The bloke I sold it to certainly didn’t use the old prop. It is being used as a conversation piece in the games room I’m building. Currently in my workshop.

The guy is barely making his money back and as mentioned the aircraft avionics are way out of date.

Got pretty far down the line with suing Andy but couldn’t be arsed. Karma’s a bitch and it’ll catch him one day. Bought myself a nice Krieghoff K80 and I go and make holes in the sky regularly that way instead! :)

Pity really.

Sorry to hear the whole experience knocked you out of aviation. I can see how the new seller is barely coming out of it with his head above water. Looks like a nice Shotgun you’ve bought!

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

The bloke I sold it to certainly didn’t use the old prop. It is being used as a conversation piece in the games room I’m building. Currently in my workshop.

The guy is barely making his money back and as mentioned the aircraft avionics are way out of date.

Got pretty far down the line with suing Andy but couldn’t be arsed. Karma’s a bitch and it’ll catch him one day. Bought myself a nice Krieghoff K80 and I go and make holes in the sky regularly that way instead! :)

Pity really.

It's not rocket science!
159 Posts
Sign in to add your message