Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Home Simulator

Some more captures of the maintenance part (9 pages to check at every start), work around to do with surface and lights check, and mixture setting for climb and cruise, with LOP and ROP settings, with – seems to be – accurate engine behavior: very rough under LOP, increased wear. spark plug getting fouled when running too rich on ground, or too low in RPM.
Here is ground operation, mass and balance, + maintenance part.

Here is inside, everything is functionnal, except erratic NDB.

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

Here is inside, everything is functionnal, except erratic NDB.

It’s the realism ;)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

LeSving wrote:

Ordered TrackIr a few of days ago, will probably have it next week. I have never tried any such VR stuff, so looking forward to it.

Very nice. Are you happy with it?

I just noticed that Stevo the youtube TBM pilot also got a TrackIr. He doesn’t seem to be using it in the video yet.
Tip: if you place the sensor on you desk in front of the monitor, it works just as well as on top and is more stable.

LPFR, Poland

greg_mp wrote:

I can now play twins and engine failures :D.

Neat! When I did my twin rating many moons ago I do vividly remember the feel after my checkflight on my first longer flight how nice that Seneca actually flew on 2 engines. Appears in training you hardly ever get to fly it with two…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Appears in training you hardly ever get to fly it with two…

Actually using the PA30 twincom in the sim and indeed having her landed after an EFATO is really complex. Using a nice rudder in a Sim does help a lot but for sure it doesn’t replicate the strength needed to push the alive pedal. But the mechanism that relates engine power, airspeed and needed rudder is really nicely done.
This is the same with the B58 but this last one has more power – so it’s easy as soon as you don’t let the speed down too much – which is easier. By the way I did order a trackIR… Seems nice and my wife refuses the VR headset – not WAF at all.

As we have no news about the lock down of recreational and training flights from the DGAC, we will not fly next week, so I will continue to sim…

Last Edited by greg_mp at 09 May 17:43
LFMD, France

loco wrote:

I just noticed that Stevo the youtube TBM pilot also got a TrackIr.

I have the TBM900 Steveo uses and it’s a great plane, probably one of the most well finished on Xplane11. The maintenance part is huge and every mishap you have in flight may provoke a damage somewhere (like for real) and you need to check everything before flight.
I had a sudden loss of pressurization due to a very hard landing on the previous flight and autopilot kicks in and engage descent by itself… A hotstart makes you loose fuel injectors. G1000 execution is the best on XP11 too with SV.
And look at that approach with bad weather:

Last Edited by greg_mp at 09 May 17:54
LFMD, France

loco wrote:

Very nice. Are you happy with it?

I have only tried it a couple of times yet. It sure needs some getting used to (I keep reaching for the “POV hat” ), but it certainly is much more natural than using keys to view.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

First experience with Flight Simulator 2020

I’ve yet to see a thread discussing this so here goes.

I ordered FS 2020 Premium Deluxe edition and downloaded it – in total 96GB needed to be downloaded, unzipped into 127GB of files. My PC is an older i7-6700, 16GB RAM and GTX 1060 6GB Video; the only update I did was to add a second SSD in order to install FS on that, rather than run it from the HDD.

Although I downloaded it at midnight on the 18th, I had no problems with download speed – up to 200MBit; I went to bed, the next morning I awoke to see it all installed.The first thing I noted on setting it up was that it was offering me “high” settings when using 2560 × 1440 pixels (native resolution for my HP Omen monitor) so I accepted and continued the setup. The first disappointment was that although it recognised the Saitek Yoke and Rudder Pedals, it didn’t recognise the Saitek trim wheel. After a bit of playing about, I managed to get it configured – in part thanks to a youtube video by someone called Squirrel who gave hints and tips – more about him later.

I continued the setup and then foolishly decided to give Flight Simulator a 500GB Cache on the SSD such that it could keep downloaded data – bad move, because then the program proceeded to write a 500GB file on the drive, making me wait around 20 minutes or so; with unlimited internet, I should have kept that lower…. oh well…..

If you’ve not heard of Squirrel, you should definitely look for his setting up of the graphics for FS 2020 on YouTube. He recommends starting the game at EGLL, gate 535 and then you can see what frame rate you are getting; I was getting around 28 frames per second on high settings – the scenery looked good and the cameras appeared to move fluidly but even so, in clouds or close to the ground when flying over detailed cities, the frame rate could tank – although it would always stabilise itself later. I then switched the weather and time of day – the weather system is incredible.

By making some of the switches that Squirrel made, I boosted my frame rate up to 35 and sometimes 40 frames – since then I’ve made a number of flights, including the Courcheval challenge – this was my first attempt at landing at this airfield and was happy to see that my landing precision was 88 feet, the ground roll was 27 feet and descent rate on landing was 200fpm to give me a score of around 991800 – the best in the world is currently at double that – but again, considering it was my first attempt at landing there, I’ll accept that.

The graphics themselves are just breathtaking – Courcheval is just incredible; Gibraltar, especially the rock, looks great but BA ‘parked’ an aircraft so close to the runway that it’s wing was actually intruding into the actual runway…… so AI doesn’t work out properly where planes should and shouldn’t park correctly thus far. I then swapped over to KGPI and flew the exact same route I flew when validating my european licence there and was impressed at how I could tell where I was based just by my memory of the geography – it is brilliant. I also flew from EGLL to my home town in an SR 22 – again, the scenery en route is just incredible, once more I knew just by looking where I was, where I needed to go; I could even identify my parent’s house whilst circling over it – really impressed. I especially liked the flight dynamics of the SR 22 and the Virus SW – my two favourites so far, it appears they are much more realistic than before. And although I don’t have any force feedback, trimming using the trim wheel is very easy.

However I do note that my graphics card is running 100% and the main memory often is fully utilised. To that extent, I’ve ordered an additional 16 GB RAM and an RTX 2070 super card – unfortunately the 2080 won’t fit inside my case, they are 30cm long compared to the 26cm of the RTX 2070 and part of the case would stop me fitting it.

I’ve yet to try any online ATC, when I selected the option ‘all players’, I was cleared by ATC to enter Runway 27 at Gibraltar and when I lined up, some numpty decided to land with an Airbus A320neo on the reciprocal….. I took a night flight from San Francisco north to take a look at Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge – even though this was at night, using real time weather etc, the frame rate stayed around 32 – 40 frames; when I reached downtown San Francisco, I deployed the drone camera and explored the streets…. brilliant.

I’m afraid P3D and X-Plane might be missing in action, having been replaced by FS 2020; yes, the system has crashed twice, once sending an error report to MS, the second time back to the desktop but for a first impression, I’m very pleased at it….

EDL*, Germany

Thanks a lot for your first impressions! Fs2020 is on my Steam wishlist, just didn’t get to buying it yet.

I have an i7 4690 and a GeForce GTX 780Ti, not sure if I can even run it in my TVT’s native 1920×1200 resolution.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 19 Aug 13:12
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Thanks for your review and hints, especially what to look for when optimizing the framerate.

Something I’ve seen now in all reviews of FS2020 is that everybody concentrates on the graphics and visual details but there is no information on physics and realism of handling, weather, engine failure simulation, etc. In other words is it only a game or can it be a real training simulator. Do you have any information on this?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message