Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Home Simulator

I’m actually thinking to VR with a 2080ti and a nice proc, but for the real job of ifr on xplane, I finally don’t think it’s a need. For flying visual it could really be nice, but I’m afraid to be too far from the gauges. I’m flying zibo b738, tbm900, pc12 and t210m and also twin Comanche and I’m actually ok with a 27’ screen in 4k, I’m afraid to miss the needed quality required for flying.
Looking at the VR scene, Rift s seems to be okay and not too pricey, but there are better ones (pimax 5k+) but double the price…

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

Looking at the VR scene, Rift s seems to be okay and not too pricey, but there are better ones (pimax 5k+) but double the price…

I was looking at the Rift S but the Quest caught my eye. It’s display is higher resolution than the Rift S, at 1,440 by 1,600 pixels per lens compared with 1,280 by 1,440. It can also be connected to a PC using a high quality Link cable at which point it effectively becomes a slightly better Rift S. So before anyone buys a Rift S, check out the Quest.

I like the fact that the Quest supports hand tracking. Now if only a simulator would allow native use of hand tracking such that you can reach and grab controls… Maybe FS 2020 will support it… I can hope….

EDL*, Germany

At the moment, shopping for VR hardware is like shopping for toilet paper. You must buy what is being offered instead of what you really want. The Vive was pretty much the only higher end VR hardware that was available.

How does the hand tracking work? Does it need specific support for that in the game?

EDQH, Germany

The hand tracking is really good. In the main foyer of the Quest, just put the controllers down on the ground and you can see your virtual hands react according to how you move your individual fingers. Unfortunately, I’ve yet to see a game where the hand tracking of the Quest is utilised. But I’m still hopeful. Would be great to have a flight simulator which accepted hand tracking such that you can activate switches, knobs etc. The only issue would be rudder, but as I have a set of pedals, that’s not really an issue.

EDL*, Germany

I put up a video of my setup:

ESME, ESMS

Ordered TrackIr a few of days ago, will probably have it next week. I have never tried any such VR stuff, so looking forward to it.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Dimme wrote:

I put up a video of my setup:

Thanks for the video – what did you use to record the screen?

I’ve connected my Quest via an Anker 3m cable and set it up with x Plane 11.41 and looking at your video, I note you move your head to zoom in – one thing I found out yesterday was the below:

If you point at the particular screen you’re interested in with the right controller, press and hold the trigger to mark the screen then press the B button (or might be the A button, can’t remember which), you zoom toward the screen….

I have a similar setup as you but also have the trim wheel as well as the throttle quadrant and yoke all mounted to the table as well as the peddles below – very impressed with the realism, especially with the experimental flight model.

Corrected to add – I just realised that pressing the button without aiming zooms in…..

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 05 May 10:00
EDL*, Germany

Alt+F9 records the screen if you have an Nvidia graphics card.

I didn’t know about the zoom in, I will try it.

ESME, ESMS

ok, thanks for the tip. Have a GTX 1060 6GB so should work…. will try….

EDL*, Germany

Just received my rudder (saitek pro), very nice! Actually one of the most accurate stuff although you don’t have force feedback. I can now play twins and engine failures :D.

I’m currently playing with the B58 of carenado with REP pack, and I have to say I am very pleased!.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 07 May 09:15
LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message