Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

Thx! That’s the reference I meant indeed

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

Does the BIR give you night passenger carriage privileges, the way the “full IR” does?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

10. Applicants for the competency-based modular IR who hold a BIR and have experience of at least 50 hours of
flight time under IFR as PIC on aeroplanes, shall:
(a) at an ATO:
(i) be assessed as having an acceptable standard of competency-based instrument rating theoretical
knowledge;
(ii) receive appropriate flight training to extend IFR privileges in accordance with FCL.605.IR after completion of (a);
(i) successfully complete the skill test for the IR in accordance with Appendix 7;
(ii) demonstrate orally to the examiner during the skill test that they have acquired an adequate level of
theoretical knowledge of air law, meteorology, and flight planning and performance.’;

Coming back to the 50h PIC to obtain a CB-IR from a BIR; can you log 50h PIC with a N-reg or does it have to be an EASA registry airplane?
The regulation says “50h flight time under IFR as PIC on aeroplanes”, so they do not specify anything against non EASA registry airplanes.

Of course, it can be any reg.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That would be regarding the acceptance of training in a foreign reg plane.

Most EU countries have rules to block training in non EU reg planes, however. Otherwise, most schools would move their fleets to N-reg

This stuff is not EASA territory and is found in national regs.

Some previous threads.

In general, if it is a problem, it tends to be so only if money changes hands.

Some FTOs also hate foreign reg planes I’ve been around that block comprehensively. This will be 100% country dependent.

Administrator

I think he was asking about PIC IFR hours in N-reg using BIR, which is ok and does not require any FTO involvement (not ATO hours or doing IRT in N-reg, well this is tricky…next question without ADF & DME? )

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 May 20:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

and another thread, off the rails, coming up…

I was pointing out a possible local-country issue, worth checking out.

Administrator

Some of my IFR PIC hours in N-reg on IMCR were accepted when I was shopping for CBIR with ATO in France, UK and Poland…not all of them but some of them

I have no idea about BIR upgrade to CBIR? and I doubt many have tested this path yet but there are two routes:

• With 50h IFR PIC, no ATO is involved: IRT booked with IRE, I know one who can help !
  • With 10h IFR PUT, ATO gets involved, they may not accept N-reg due to politics as you rightly said
Last Edited by Ibra at 06 May 21:09

What matters for the CBIR is IFR PIC hours, regardless of reg. 90% of my documented PIC hours when I converted were in N-reg in the US.

EHRD, Netherlands

90% of my documented PIC hours when I converted were in N-reg in the US

I recall after passing your test, the NAA asked you to send them documentation of IFR PIC hours? like flight plans? I am glad they did not ask for cloud samples from flights, ATS logs and CVR records

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 May 15:50
Sign in to add your message