Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

Thanks for the clarifications Snoopy. Makes sense.

except HPA IF operational suitability data has determined that an IR is required.

So this IF means nothing? there is no exception in HPA for BIR and all of then require an IR

The IMCR is valid in SET class (e.g. Caravan, TBM), so this possibility went away with BIR?

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Apr 06:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

All HPA → no IFR with BIR
OSD requires IR → no IFR with BIR

always learning
LO__, Austria

It’s really not an issue as BIR → IR isn’t a big issue.

always learning
LO__, Austria

So no point adding this “IF operational suitability data has determined that an IR is required” as all HPA require an IR for IFR?

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Apr 06:47

Ibra wrote:

So no point adding this “IF operational suitability data has determined that an IR is required” as all HPA require an IR for IFR?

All HPA require an IR for IFR, but in principle a non-HPA aircraft can have OSD that requires an IR. In practise this seems unlikely…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I got that wrong then, it’s only valid in non-HPA turboprops (e.g. SET Caravan) and pistons SEP, MEP

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Apr 10:50

Snoopy wrote:

No, you cannot add HPA to a BIR, because you cannot add a rating to a rating

Does that mean no night rating with BIR either? I seem to recall reading explicitly the opposite but can’t remember where

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

Historically there was no way to do an “IR” with any of these

• no NQ
  • no CV pass
  • no JAA audiogram pass (e.g. 1 good ear and 1 bad ear)

I think 1 and 2 were always tied together, at the PPL level. People used to go to Hungary for the CV and thousands of airline pilots did that (you can fail the CV and still see practically all colours). For 3 you had to go the FAA route and N-reg – end of story on that! Or the UK CAA £300 under the table “ICAO Renewal Medical” route but that needed an ICAO CPL or ATPL, and no written correspondence entered into

Today you can do an IR without any of these. No 1 or 2 → “day-only IR”. No 3 → flight with an FI within 90 days of the medical and a form with tickboxes that you can talk to ATC etc (this is UK CAA; I don’t know if other countries do the same).

It would be interesting if the BIR can be done without a CV pass.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

BIR and night rating combine.

LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message