Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

Airborne_Again wrote:

So there is no problem that the tower is closed.

I know what SERA says but the French interpretation adds few stuff to NVFR as to bring it to the old days (e.g. mandatory VOR equipment & routes, mandatory radio contact, 1500ft above obstacles…), having said that people have no issues departing with auto-info and only talk to FIS to activate flight plan and receive info when they fell they like it

PS: I never heard anyone complaining about pilots ‘starting NVFR’ in Golf before talking to ATS or activate flight plan? Pilots ‘starting IFR’ in Golf without yet talking to anyone does not fly very high though in the mind of GA flyers…now pilots ‘starting night IFR’ in Golf and yet not talking to anyone, that is naughty

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Where did you find mandarory 2 way comms for NVFR in France? Mandatory FPL for the X country yes. Clear of cloud yes. There are also NVFR transits around larger cities and towns. All can be found in the “Guide to VFR” pouch.
The big difference to SERA is altitude limits over towns and cities as in VFR in France.

France

Indeed, I don’t see the mention in SERA that radio contact is obligatoire but I naively understood there are some laws that mandates this, at least what controllers and instructors seems to think…

Can I file VFR FPL, depart Auto-Info, fly 100km NVFR and back, land Auto-Info, not talking to anyone in Golf while under NVFR in France? YES or NO? answers in postcard, I am flying it this Saturday night if weather is nice and the full moon is still with us

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Oct 17:55

I have never seen anything that would stop you.
Most club aircraft are equipped for night VFR but not IFR which is somethingbI find a little strange.
But I suppose the key is a visibility thing.
Why wouldn’t you want to talk to SIVs, they are very helpful? Not that, AFAIK, you need to talk, its basically the same as any day VFR flight in terms of communications.

France

I have never seen anything that would stop you.

You are probably right, I did 60km A to B at night in Golf not speaking to anyone with “ModeS 7000”, no one complained about that on my subsequent IFR flights

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Oct 18:51

On my night xc flights from LFPT, we had noone to talk to beyond the small TMA, or once ATC had closed.
It is awkward to have noone to call precisely when you need it most in case of trouble
IIRC, Paris FIC closes at sunset.
It would require only one FISO for the whole France given how few night VFR are done.

LFOU, France

You call on 121.5 if you are in trouble and are not talking to an ATS service.

France

Some applicable posts here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sharing that I got the BIR theory, the last of the three modules, done a few days ago!
Now restarting flying lessons. (Had flown some hours already but paused it temporarily to concentrate on getting the theory done)
Just at the right time of the year to try and include the NVFR rating along :-)

EHLE, Netherlands

Good luck with the practical training !

Can you share where you did the theory?

Sign in to add your message