Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can a FAA IRA test result stand in for an IFP?

For historical reasons, I have taken and successfully passed my FAA IRA (Instrument Rating Airplane) in the US. I was initially thinking of doing the full FAA route to get my IR. But that did not happen as I live in the UK and US regulations have changed.

I have now acquired a CB-IR in the UK. I would like to add my UK IR as a 61.75 IR to my FAA 61.75 PPL (backed on my UK PPL). I have started the process with the FAA’s IACRA and paid my due for the CAA to answer the upcoming licence verification from the FAA.

Question is: will the FAA accept my IRA test result instead of a IFP (Instrument Foreign Pilot)? I understand the questions are the same and there a fewer ones for the IFP (50 iso. 60). In my (simple) mind, who can the most can the least – but you never know with the administration.

If you believe the IRA can stand in for an IFP, can you point me to any documentation that would support my plea?

Thanks in advance!
JB

United Kingdom

Actually found the answer to my question: the IRA can stand in for the IFP.

Documentation can be found here looking for document 8900.1,FY10-1Q in Volume 5 Chapter 2 Title 14 Section 14 5-595 D.2 where a note says: “Completion of the FAA Instrument⎯[Aircraft: Airplane, Helicopter, or Powered-lift, as appropriate] Rating Aeronautical knowledge test within the preceding 24 calendar-months is also acceptable.”

United Kingdom
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message