Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PPL renewal - class rating expired 2009.

I’m trying to help a student to renew an expired license (2012 – pre EASA). His SEP/SES class ratings expired in 2009.

I have trouble finding the GM/AMC on how to do this.

Will he need to have any theory exams? He does not have any human factors-exams, so I guess that he would at least have to take them.

I think I remember that @Airborne_Again has been through this at some point?

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

ErlendV wrote:

I have trouble finding the GM/AMC on how to do this

It used to be in Article 4 of 1178/2011. All the regular conversion routes for JAR-compliant licenses have expired in 2018 and the associated references have been deleted in the current revision of FCL.

The easiest way to get him into the EASA system would be to make use of FCL.110, which gives full credit for the training towards the LAPL for anyone who has ever held a license for the same category of aircraft. A skill test is then sufficient to get him an LAPL. An upgrade to PPL requires, AFAIU, 10 hrs. additional training, (in this case) the written test and another skill test.

Friedrichshafen EDNY

There is nothing to convert. A JAR-compliant licence issued before 8 Apr 2012 was deemed to be Part-FCL licence, iaw art 4(1) of the Aircrew Regulation. The applicant need only renew the medical, undertake class rating renewal training as required, if any, and pass a proficiency check to renew the class rating.

London, United Kingdom

But Article 4(1) has been deleted from the Aircrew regulation…

Friedrichshafen EDNY

After JAR-compliant licences were deemed to be Part-FCL licences.

London, United Kingdom

Well, my understanding is that this provision („conversion reports“) expired in 2018 and for that reason the reference to it has been eliminated.

Do you have any source for your interpretation?

The German CAA‘s certainly only offer the LAPL-route for expired pre-EASA-licenses since 2018.

Friedrichshafen EDNY

He will go for a PPL. But as mentioned, his did not take any human factors-exams before expiration. I guess he would have to take them in order to get a new license issued?

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

In general there is no such thing as a PPL Renewal. If it was a pre EASA licence issued under JAR then it was reissued every 5 years. All JAA licences became Part FCL Licences unfder EASA so following the initial reissue after 5 years, it would have become a lifetime licence. Only the aircraft rating expires and that is revalidated or renewed in accordance with Part FCL.
The worst case you could have is a Pre JAA Norweigian National Licence that would be converted under local regulations.

8 Posts
Sign in to add your message