Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22-G2 (# 2206) ALT 1 Failure

AFAICT voltage regs do fail periodically, and mainly due to the environment (usually forward of the firewall) i.e. heat, cold, damp, vibration… so keeping a spare is a good thing. To service them you need to understand electronics.

That’s a good online MM. Socata and most others never did that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

(the MM and the PM are online too)

I guess Cirrus had one big advantage here, because everything was drawn by CAD anyway, and the MM and PM show that.

Diamond also publishes them on their website for everyone to see. They just don’t have it one page at a time. And there are other manufacturers who do that as well.

Flyer59 wrote:

I guess Cirrus had one big advantage here, because everything was drawn by CAD anyway

That is no significant advantage. You can scan any drawing or document you want. And there is no need to do it yourself.

Last Edited by Martin at 08 Dec 11:26

As someone who knows nothing about Cirrus aircraft, why doesn’t the existence of ALT2 make this a non event? I don’t understand why ALT2 didn’t prevent the low voltage condition? On one of the pictures it shows an ALT2 current of 1A, surely it can fo more than that?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

With Alt 1 inop I was running on battery only becasue Alt 2 will only kick in at 1700 rpm. Until Alt 2 comes online, Alt 1 charges Batt 2 and the Essential bus voltage is equal to Alt 1 voltage. If Alt 1 isn’t working, it’s battery voltage only.

Once you are over 1700 rpm the ALT 2 light goes out

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 08 Dec 11:41

Totally dual systems are rare on piston GA. The Cessna 400 (TTX) has one: 2 alternators, 2 buses, 2 batteries, crossover switches. Like a 737

On the SR22, is the 2nd voltage regulator set to the same voltage? Normally, a backup alternator is voltage-regulated to some 0.5V below the main one, so normally it gets a zero field current, and if the main one fails, you get 27.5V on the bus.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Neil wrote:

As someone who knows nothing about Cirrus aircraft, why doesn’t the existence of ALT2 make this a non event?

AFAIK ALT2 only powers essential avionics (transponder, for example, is not essential).

The SR 22 has that too, BAT 1/2, ALT 1/2, two busses.

The older versions (like mine) don’t have a very strong ALT 2 (20 AMPS) but the newer Persepective ones have a 70 Amps ALT 2.

@Flyer59 The diagram you posted is not for “FIKI” equipped SR22, is it? Because deicing seems to be powered only by ALT1 and I remember something about dual alternators needed for “FIKI”.

@Peter

here’s the desciption:

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 08 Dec 11:49
Sign in to add your message