Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SMA six cylinder SR430 Dieisel Engine

Jean-Paul Herteman, President and CEO of Safran, flies himself a C 182 with the SMA engine.
See video on their site http://www.safran-group.com/?&t=58s

EDxx, Germany

Cessna has had two engine failures on the 182 diesel prototype. Combining information from multiple sources (always a risky practice!) it appears one was caused by a broken crankshaft, or at least related to a poorly machined crankshaft, and the other was caused a turbocharger development problem that has not been described in detail.

On the other hand, a Skylane JT-A suffered an engine failure during its flight test phase. The problem was traced to burrs on the SR305’s crankshaft—burrs caused by manufacturing defects that have since been corrected at the factory.

I thought the problem was with the turbo. Any news on the JT-A??

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Just out:

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 04 Aug 13:59

“I wonder where SMA’s money comes from today?”

SMA is 100% owned by Safran, which I am led to believe has rather deep pockets ^^

Just seen this about the big SMA diesels

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Alexis, SMA isn’t Zoche or DeltaHawk and their SR305 at least has a type certificate. Plus, with SAFRAN in the background and Conti buying the engine, I expect more of SMA.

I would have bought the engine, if it wasn’t twice as expensice as a comparatice Conti or Lycoming. I don’t know how they would handle an OEM, but for the aftermarket engine swaps, they’re too expensive (even if one considers the 305 being one of the best aero diesel designs currently availiable.)

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I wonder where SMA’s money does from today? After decades of development they haven’t sold a measurable number of production engines.

I am not negative, i have reserved one for my grandchildren, just in case i ever have any! :-)

Why be so negative? I am glad that people still are motivated enough to invest and research in General Aviation and light aircraft. Too many aircraft fly with engines designed 50 or 60 years ago. New, modern engines, especially jet A1 ones are welcome.
True, SMA took a long time to produce its first engine. They will probably benefit from their experience for the second one. No matter how long it takes, this is good news, in my opinion.

Last Edited by TThierry at 25 Dec 06:34
SE France
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message