Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 182 - SMA Diesel (this time by Soloy), and innovation in GA

As you may be aware the SMA diesel STC was transferred to Soloy last year.
They currently have an Airventure show special of USD175.000 for the conversion to 230hp but also offer a conversion to 260hp now.
Link to Soloy 182
Personally I find the cost ridiculous.

EDLN and EDKB

mrfacts wrote:

Personally I find the cost ridiculous.

Well, I think that cost can be justified if you take a closer look.

Take a 2017 Cessna 182 which is $500k from the factory. This aircraft is essentially unchanged for decades with the exception of avionics. Take an existing airframe, say a very nice G1000 model for $200k. Sell the Lycoming for let’s say $15k and invest another $15k to make the airframe better than new so you’re at $200k plus $175k which is $375k versus $500k for new from Cessna.

For $375k you get an aircraft that is much better than the original. The Soloy news (this is actually Tony Uhl located at my airfield) is fantastic because those guys actually know how to do a first class STC. The original SMA STC for the C182 was absolutely terrible, done without much understanding.

If I had to make the choice between an (almost) factory new Cessna 182 and a Soloy SMA 182, I would definitely go for the latter. You get a much better aircraft that has a much higher utility value just about anywhere on this planet that is not the US of A.

achimha wrote:

Sell the Lycoming for let’s say $15k and invest another $15k to make the airframe better than new so you’re at $200k plus $175k which is $375k versus $500k for new from Cessna.

-or you could not sell the Lycoming, and you will have the same nice better than new aircraft with a Lycoming for 215k vs 375k for the SMA.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

As far as I know, the EIS (Engine Instrument System) integrated in the G1000 is locked, and can’t be openly adjusted to new engine parameters.
For example, ALAMO AEROSPACE offers an upgrade to Lyco IO540 devolopping 260hp (thanks to higher revs, ie 2700rpm), but could not be retrofited to C182T with G1000 for this reason.
Don’t know if SOLOY obtained a better agreement with Garmin/Cessna.

I see your point @achimha.
@LeSving regarding sticking with the Lycoming: I am currently AOG due to SB632a :(

EDLN and EDKB

LeSving wrote:

-or you could not sell the Lycoming, and you will have the same nice better than new aircraft with a Lycoming for 215k vs 375k for the SMA.

Not a very clever remark I’d say. Obviously if the fact that the engine operates with Jet A-1 is of no of of insignificant value, you wouldn’t be looking at the STC, would you?

mrfacts wrote:

I am currently AOG due to SB632a :(

You can fix a lot within a budget of 175k I see your point. If 100LL is not available, then the SMA makes sense. What is the track record of the SMA?

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Well I would think this engine in the C182 would be excellent.

The problem one would assume is the engine. There must be a reason why Cessna pulled it

Bathman wrote:

The problem one would assume is the engine.

You will probably be right. The Glass Engine Monitor shows six cylinder on a four cylinder engine.

Berlin, Germany

What is the track record of the SMA?

That would be my concern. As far as I know it is pretty unproven and looking back at the history of the Thielert, a new engine clearly needs some time for teething.

LFPT, LFPN
141 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Back to Top