Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SMA six cylinder SR430 Dieisel Engine

I’ve only just noticed this but apparently SAM have a a six cylinder engine that they are developing from the SR305 and should develop 300 to 400hp. Not sure what it weighs mind. Aiming for a 2400 TBO and avialable from 2015.

So that means 2020, really? Or maybe never?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

No, it means that they will show it on every aviation trade show the next 25 years and tell you that it will be available “next spring” and you should RESERVE ONE IMMEDIATELY and make a down payment of 20.000 Euros.

Then it will be available 2039, have 180 hp (stronger vestion coming soon!), have a TBO of 1400 hours and the price will go up to 80.000 Euros installed. By that time my SR22 the will be worth 15.000 Dollars. I’ll be 80 years old, and will be living in an old folks home and terrorize the other gyus with some “really cool flying stories”.

;-))

But maybe we’re really lucky this time!

600lbs

Why be so negative? I am glad that people still are motivated enough to invest and research in General Aviation and light aircraft. Too many aircraft fly with engines designed 50 or 60 years ago. New, modern engines, especially jet A1 ones are welcome.
True, SMA took a long time to produce its first engine. They will probably benefit from their experience for the second one. No matter how long it takes, this is good news, in my opinion.

Last Edited by TThierry at 25 Dec 06:34
SE France

I am not negative, i have reserved one for my grandchildren, just in case i ever have any! :-)

I wonder where SMA’s money does from today? After decades of development they haven’t sold a measurable number of production engines.

Alexis, SMA isn’t Zoche or DeltaHawk and their SR305 at least has a type certificate. Plus, with SAFRAN in the background and Conti buying the engine, I expect more of SMA.

I would have bought the engine, if it wasn’t twice as expensice as a comparatice Conti or Lycoming. I don’t know how they would handle an OEM, but for the aftermarket engine swaps, they’re too expensive (even if one considers the 305 being one of the best aero diesel designs currently availiable.)

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Just seen this about the big SMA diesels

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“I wonder where SMA’s money comes from today?”

SMA is 100% owned by Safran, which I am led to believe has rather deep pockets ^^

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message