Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham EGKA to Salzburg LOWS, Feb 2019, fly to ski

Peter If the ice does build with TKS no worries after it builds to a certain level it looses its footing and falls off. Its un-nerving until you go through it a few times. That has been my experience. Also it comes off in chunks but does come off. I have 6.1 gals of the stuff. Off course its always best to keep the leading edge clean and working before it adheres.

Last Edited by C210_Flyer at 26 Feb 20:52
KHTO, LHTL

Interesting that there’s a slot cut through the trees on the runway alignment, presumably for lights or whatever.

The video shows the detail. There is a long line of runway lights there. But yes probably a good idea in case somebody crashes, too

One sees a lot of these 3 degree final approach photos posted on EuroGA and the images make me a little uncomfortable

On the ILS, you have to fly that. If I was flying VFR I would fly a much steeper approach.

Shame you didn’t record the return flight – would’ve been very educational to view how you dealt with the icing conditions both from an ATC perspective + how it looks on the plane… coming from a low icing experience reader….

The “interesting” times would have been in IMC and nothing showing on the camera. Also the camera doesn’t show the leading edge ice.

Re ATC, I just urgently asked for a descent, then another, “due to icing”. A better option generally would have been a climb to VMC but much more headwind, and knowing roughly where +1C was (6000ft) and knowing there was no terrain all the way to the UK, I decided to descend. In the end, the loss of TAS (due to lower altitude) was probably as bad as the gain in the reduced headwind…

TKS was dealing with the ice just fine, but AFAICT it lasts for not much more than 1hr, so one has to be fairly proactive when in the enroute phase. I had the radar IR and sferics images before the flight, and the ADL150 data during the flight, and one could not be sure one would be out of it in 1hr. I tried the lower flow rate but it didn’t stop the ice building.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great report thanks a lot!

Shame you didn’t record the return flight – would’ve been very educational to view how you dealt with the icing conditions both from an ATC perspective + how it looks on the plane… coming from a low icing experience reader….

EGSX

Interesting that there’s a slot cut through the trees on the runway alignment, presumably for lights or whatever. Also a good place to crash if the engine quits…. One sees a lot of these 3 degree final approach photos posted on EuroGA and the images make me a little uncomfortable. Maybe its just an illusion of the photos but I would not choose to be that low and that far out on final, assuming a visual approach in nice weather. When I look at the photo my hand is involuntarily pushing an imaginary throttle.

boscomantico wrote:

Still, most (all?) national radiotelephony procedure manuals require the altitude/level to be reported, upon each initial contact with a new station.

It is as boscomantico says. When they occasionally don’t want you to state altitude etc. because of congestion, you will be told “callsign only” at the handover.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

No IAPs in the AIP, so to speak but one can fly any trajectory in Class G outside an ATZ, and land with a long final. ATC or A/G etc is not involved before that.

Administrator

Thanks for posting this!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Amazing trip and pictures !

I thought Shoreham approaches were cancelled ?

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 24 Feb 21:46
LFOU, France

And finally here are some pics:

Wx was OK at Shoreham but some bad stuff was moving in quite fast from the west

Getting vectored around by London Control

Landing fuel on board forecast at 40 USG – actual was 37.6

Where all the trouble happens these days

The TB20 can take two pairs of skis and luggage for two, but no more by the time the TKS stuff is installed and filled up (50kg)

I am sure the locals will recognise this feature

“Frankfurt” Hahn

Getting colder on the ground, as the terrain rises a bit

Here I have the “ILS 15” set up on the KLN94, just to get the magenta line showing the localiser. Initially I get a vector through the localiser (they did tell me in advance)

Now going to intercept from the other side

On the ILS

Loads of room at LOWS… no idea why they are so tight on GA at weekends

Avgas bowser was there in minutes

Fuel totaliser calculation showed 183 litres; actual fill was 180, so all good

As far as I know, it was parked in this corner

A few pics from the “other stuff”

Departing on TITIG2A RNAV departure; the KLN94 doesn’t do RNAV sids/stars but has all the waypoints in the database

In flight catering beats low cost airlines today

20-30kt of headwind this time, and getting vectored to the south of Munich before getting a DCT ABTAL

Some icing coming up. I went up and down, eventually down to FL060 to get +1C, to avoid strong headwinds high up (VMC would have been found at ~FL150)

Finally on top, a few hundred nm later, FL100

Flying the RNAV 20 approach back home

This is the view at the 2200ft IAP platform!

VMC was found at 900ft (MDA is 800ft)

Almost nobody was flying all day, despite the tops at 1800ft with blue skies above.

Administrator

It would have been ok without TKS. Base was 7000ft, top 7700ft. I just used to “go for it” and Plan B is a descent back into warm air, which with +5C or so at SFC would have been ok.

My notepad shows -1C at 7000ft so a bit of ice would have been very likely.

On the way back (not filmed) there was much more ice. I could have avoided it by climbing to ~FL150 but wanted to avoid the headwind up there, so I went up and down, eventually down to 6000ft over Germany (ignore the yellow speed line; it’s usually crap on fr24)

I got ~1cm in a few minutes, and while TKS removed it, it did so only at max flow. Without TKS I would have had to do the FL150 option and put up with maybe a 50kt headwind, for as long as it takes. I posted the wx data here.

Administrator
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message