Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sharing Jeppesen IFR Europe Subscription

My concern wasn’t over a backup. I just think that flying IFR without having all the proper info is unprofessional.

I don’t wish to sound pompous (we have far too much of that in GA already) but IFR GA has plenty of enemies already (attend any UK NATS/ATC presentation for a depressing taster – misinformed though they may be about GA) and we don’t really want a pilot on a Eurocontrol flight telling the whole circus listening on the radio (not just ATC but loads of airline pilot union reps sitting in the RH seats up there) that he doesn’t have the STAR chart and could he please have vectors

It’s fine for IR training, which is done in a small area and at low level and ATC know the game. In the UK, IR training is done mostly sub-Eurocontrol, with a brief Eurocontrol bit to demonstrate you can spell “London Control” instead of the usual “Bournemouth Radar” while hand flying

That is also why I like to get wx over a satphone, rather than hassle ATC (which tends to be either busy, or – especially in some SW European locations – have English too poor to understand the request, or be totally out of their depth, or all of the above) for it.

In an emergency, no problem. But to fly regularly without the charts – no.

Just my view

Last Edited by Peter at 05 Feb 11:08
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

All charts on the tablet, backup on the phone. Tablet + phone not working: ask ATC for help. I think that is a very good approach and does not involve a single sheet of paper.

I have no problem telling ATC I forgot a chart. People make mistakes. In the pre-tablet area one would prepare two alternates but in case they don’t work (usually they are all close together and could be subject to a larger weather phenomenon) then one would go for another airport for which no charts were available.

I once heard a crew on FIS that left for a 2 week trip to France and Spain and shortly before reaching the border to France, they noticed that they had forgotten their flight bag with all approach charts. They asked FIS for information on their destination aerodrome but FIS did not have French charts. I had them all on my tablet so we switched to 123.45 MHz and I spent 15 minutes reading charts to them

My concern wasn’t over a backup. I just think that flying IFR without having all the proper info is unprofessional.

We fly professionally. Paperless. The SIDs and STARs and RNAV approaches are in the FMS (would be the panel mounted GPS in your case) and for reference and backup we have iPads. Weather and NOTAMs are only on the iPad, the only remaining piece of paper is the flight log that also has w&b and a little corner for a real signature (probably the main cause for sticking with that sheet of paper).

EDDS - Stuttgart

Just wondering, are all minimas (MDA/DH) etc available in for instance G1000 and GNS430 in plain text in order to use it without a electronic/paper chart? I have flown IFR with both systems but haven’t used the approach function that much….

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Just wondering, are all minimas (MDA/DH) etc available in for instance G1000 and GNS430 in plain text in order to use it without a electronic/paper chart?

No, that information is not encoded in the Jeppesen approach database used by the navigators. It depends on a lot of factors and would therefore be difficult to represent.

But you can display the chart in a way that you have active lateral guidance with the airplane symbol on the approach and above that you have the strip with the data from the chart. Good enough. For me anyway.

No, that information is not encoded in the Jeppesen approach database used by the navigators. It depends on a lot of factors and would therefore be difficult to represent.

Actually of the altitudes are encoded in the database except for the MDA/DH they just don’t display unless you have a VNAV capable system. On the G1000 with GFC700 you have VNAV altitudes for the approach ie all the steps. I fly with that, the actual charts on the MFD, an iPad with all European charts and now no paper at all. Rocketroute emails me a plog and while I don’t use it in flight if I needed a heading I could find it there. But the MFD provides a plog when you enter the flight plan.

EGTK Oxford

2x garmins,
1 ipad with jv flightdeck, skydemon, sky-map & airnavpro
1 google nexus 7 with jv flighttc , skydemon, sky-map & airnav pro
Iphone with skymap and airnav pro

And I carry the vfr charts & low enroute ifr charts. In paper ( not always the latest) but they are just for reference.

Since I have jV I never look in the paperudates they send.. It is a waist of paper.

I do have a book with the approach charts of the airports i visited more then once and when i was still printing them .. They are out of date but the ultimate last resort.

What I do like is the paper vfr charts .. Not for positionsping but they have a better overview

Since I have jV I never look in the paperudates they send.. It is a waist of paper.

Why do you get paper updates? If you are on either the download sub (the only option for IOS or any panel mount device) or the DVD-in-the-mail sub (possible for Jeppview 4 only, and costs some €100/year extra) then you should not get any paper stuff.

However I vaguely recall hearing that people who get the DVD sub also get the printed airway charts with that. I used to buy those but never used them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For some reason I cannot cancel the paper. It does not cost extra.. However all those envelopes are totally crazy.

I discussed it with Jepp and they said it was standard.

Sign in to add your message