Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sharing Jeppesen IFR Europe Subscription

First of all it’s not 2000 Euros, it’s 1700 for all VFR and IFR aapeoach plates plus 2xGNS430 update and Avidyne base map. At least that’s what I pay.

If i can afford a plane like an SR22, PA46 or TB20 and have an MFD in the plane … well i think all in all it’s one of the smaller cost factors and incredibly helpful. There’s nothing like an active IFR approach chart ….

So if printing off say Zurich you have to print off all ~85 pages, so you end up with 85 PDFs…

That’s what our students do all the time and later in the cockpit, they make a big mess of their heap of paper and find nothing. If you fly to Zürich, you need no more than 16 pages: 10-9 and maybe 10-9B for taxi instructions, ILS CAT1 for the four runways, four RNAV arrival routes and another four RNAV departure routes in the general direction of your flight. Everything else can stay home.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Don’t forget the 29 pages of noise abatement rules

Alexisvc….First of all it’s not 2000 Euros, it’s 1700 for all VFR and IFR aapeoach plates plus 2xGNS430 update and Avidyne base map. At least that’s what I pay…

Do you have a contact name there, whenever I call Jepp I cant get any sense from them, everything is always so difficult, sometimes bordering on impossible.
Maybe please email Peter and he could pass it on.
Thanks, Q

Last Edited by quatrelle at 04 Feb 20:30

quatrelle, just send me mail over the website here, just click on my name and use the messaging feature. Let me know what questions you have and I’ll try to answer! Or send mail directly to [email protected]

Do you have a contact name there, whenever I call Jepp I cant get any sense from them, everything is always so difficult, sometimes bordering on impossible.

We have messaging on EuroGA – see here.

It is known that people have tried to approach Jeppesen about this, officially, and made some progress, but it seems nobody is going to commit themselves officially. What seems to be happening is that Jepp are saying to individuals that they can just share the 4-device sub with 3 other people…

Dealing with Jepp is mostly horrible. The UK office is especially horrible. I once exchanged about 30 emails just to buy the raster charts CD. However one can buy all their stuff from a pilot shop e.g. Peter Mundy’s one and with far less hassle and probably the same price.

First of all it’s not 2000 Euros, it’s 1700 for all VFR and IFR aapeoach plates plus 2xGNS430 update and Avidyne base map. At least that’s what I pay.

Please verify the coverage; we have had this debate before and what Jepp call “Europe” is only a subset and is about €1400. The whole of political Europe (basically equivalent to the area in which avgas is available, if to varying degrees, and you don’t need overflight and landing permits) is quite a bit more, but many pilots choose to not buy it because they don’t fly to Finland, Norway, Bulgaria, etc. There are several coverage options.

you need no more than 16 pages: 10-9 and maybe 10-9B for taxi instructions,

I agree (except do you know which SID/STAR you will get on the day?) but I suspect the interest in printing may have been connected with sharing the sub with other people, and you never know what they will want.

My feeling is that Jepp have crippled the Ipad products to keep a lid on data sharing, given that their general marketing drift is on IOS, and fewer and fewer private pilots will have any interest in Jeppview 4 – because running that in the cockpit requires the use of extremely esoteric hardware like a Windows (wot izzz dat???) tablet

Last Edited by Peter at 04 Feb 21:28
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Alexisvc. Will email you in the morning, thanks, Q

I agree (except do you know which SID/STAR you will get on the day?)

Well you file the flight plan,s so you know the points where the STAR and SID begins and ends. So you only have to take the charts with these points on them.

When I fly IFR training with students, usually from EDDS to our training airfields EDSB, EDTY and EDJA I have a little “Trip Kit” of my own that contains no more than 20 charts (for four IFR airfields).

Last Edited by what_next at 05 Feb 10:15
EDDS - Stuttgart

OK… what would concern me is if they change it at short notice. Also some airports, notably the Paris ones, have a habit of using SIDs belonging to (and published under) another airport in the area. For example Pontoise makes use of Le Bourget SIDs/STARs. It is mentioned in the AIP but you would never find it…

For alternates, one just needs the IAPs and the airport diagram.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why are you concerned about a backup to your tablet in case you get an approach that is not expected? I have flown IFR approaches without charts because I had forgotten to take them. Once ATC got that, they just gave me instructions how to fly the STAR.

Why would I need a backup of a backup when the worst possible consequence of failure is… no consequence at all?

Sign in to add your message