Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Seeking Advice - Moved to Spain from USA

Rus wrote:

So it has been 4 months now and still waiting for my license from Austro control apparently there is a backlog for medical transfers from Spain to Austria. The process is completely not transparent and frustrating to just wait.

Indeed I can relate. I waited two months for the official theory pass results from Austro Control, and another several weeks for my paper license from Kiwa (the outsourced Dutch licensing authority). What you can do in the meantime is get a paper solo endorsement that lets you keep flying, although you can’t carry passengers. I also had a lot of paperwork drama converting my US IR. But the good news is once you’ve done this there’s not much else regarding bureaucracy that you have to deal with other than what you’d do in the US, i.e. medical + flight reviews (aka “revalidation”). The sightseeing in Europe is worth the wait!

Last Edited by dutch_flyer at 03 Jul 09:19
EHRD, Netherlands

@dutch_flyer can you talk about the US IR conversion as that is next for me. Also in re: paper solo do you get that from the instructor or from Austro control?

Rus
Spain

Rus wrote:

Also in re: paper solo do you get that from the instructor or from Austro control?

The instructor can sign you off for basically unlimited solos. I did this to deal with the exact situation you’re in.

can you talk about the US IR conversion as that is next for me

This has been discussed many times on the forum, but admittedly it’s a bit of a challenge to navigate as it depends on a number of factors. I’ll pm you my contact details and I can help you directly.

EHRD, Netherlands

Wanted to give a final update here on the saga of a conversion from faa to easa. But they finally finished the medical transfer today and will be sending my license. Overall took them about 5 months to do the medical transfer. In hind sight I should have just made a day trip to Austria for my medical.

Next step is to get my ifr transferred over.

Rus
Spain
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message