Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Seeking Advice - Moved to Spain from USA

Rus wrote:

First step I am taking is I found an outfit that will help me with FAA to EASA conversion after tests and everything said and done looks to cost about 1500 euros.

Only a small part of these 1.500 is for the admin cost of license conversion. The major part is for actually learning the differences you need to know before you fly safely in European airspace.

Rus wrote:

I am also considering of maybe purchasing an N reg aircraft here in EU but this seems to be problematic since you might not be able to use your FAA cert based on the EASA rules on residency.

No problem at all – it’s just that you can not fly with your FAA license only. (Guess it’s the same thing with your driving license: You likely need a Spanish one as well and can not drive in Europe 4 years with your US driving license).

Rus wrote:

My main goal is to fly on weekends (as regularly as possible) as well as travel all over EU to visit and explore.

Great plan! Just keep in mind that this is international travel. Most US pilots are not used to the fact that rules of the air can be different in different countries as many of them have never flown in a foreign country and even those who did rarely have experience in more than 2 or 3.
On a flight from Spain to Germany alone you are flying in 3-4 different countries…

Germany

Welcome to EuroGA, Rus

Spain has a load of spectacular scenery and you will enjoy flying around there. You can also easily pop over to France, and further. Get some decent plane and you will have a great time. Spanish GA is running at a low level of activity these days (mainly due to the weak economy, but also partly due to weak GA infrastructure and hassle) but if you have adequate funding you will be fine.

Spain has not derogated (did they ever? – I doubt there is anyone in AENA who has the determination to read 100000 pages of EASA docs) so an N-reg pilot whose “operator” (not defined) is “resident” (not defined) in Spain needs dual papers (FAA and EASA).

One can safely assume that “residence” would not crystallise in any likely legal sense for some time, so there is no immediate pressure.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Small update from me,

Will be heading to Jerez to do the conversion with fly-in Spain outfit. Three tests to do , communication, air law, and human performance PPL level. Then a medical and English proficiency. Couple of hours training and then the practical. Start on Mar 14th will update on how it goes to the group here. Once that is done will reach out to the club here in Madrid for more regular flying.

Rus.

Rus
Spain

Another update been in Jerez for three days now (some how chosen the rainy season in a place where it’s mostly sun my luck). Did an intro flight with an instructor and he was happy to sign off for me to take a skills test after it. My main concern is Radios the accents still get me and situational awareness goes to shit once people switch to Spanish. Got the good news on passing all three theory exams that where needed. Doing my medical today(lab) and tomorrow (doctor). Hopefully the skills test on Thur/Friday weather depending. Now some curve balls Language proficiency needed an examiner who is on leave this week luckily he can do it via zoom today so that’s a win. Got surprise news that you need to do ground school prior to taking RT practical, never say no to additional training but was suprised that would be an extra step now hoping I can fit it in before I leave. Then need to schedule RT exam via zoom as well. And then the fun part of where to file paper work still not sure if school will do Malta or Austria not sure if that makes any difference but interesting to see how the school manages this.

Will do another update in couple of days hopefully post skill test.

Rus

Rus
Spain

Congrats!

Germany

Don’t get confused between an RT exam and a language proficiency. They are different.
My ELP was through Malta although taken in France, and very efficient it was too. No problem at all getting the DGAC to add it to my French /EASA licence.

France

Ok another day in the book here in Jerez here is the update. 1) Did ground school for RT and I am happy I did prior to the practical exam. As much as I talk to ATC in the USA the test looks for exact phraseoly and I would have messed that up. Plus it was great refresher overall. 2) Did the LP exam got the good news of L6 pass but not too surprised on that one :). The plan for today 1) get 1 hour of night time flight with instructor to add the NVFR when filling for the conversion. (Doing Jerez to Seville and back). I think this is a good practice prior to skill test as well. 2) Did my labs yesterday doing the medical exam today (the only exam outside my control :)). We shall see if RT practical will be today or tomorrow. The Gran finalle skill test is scheduled for Friday afternoon will do the final update then.

Rus
Spain

Good luck! And as to the lab test; in Spain they test for drugs. I’m not implying you use them, just a factoid..

Edit: that may be for Class 1 only, not sure..

Last Edited by aart at 17 Mar 11:09
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Another day another update. Pass my medical class 2 if you need a great aeronautical examiner in Jerez , Spain let me know. Also had my skills test which was also a Pass. About 1.5 hour flight, dead reckoning, stalls, comms, and pattern work. Nothing out of the ordinary there just some complications about payment was not aware that examiner needed cash vs bank transfer so that was a bit of unseeded stress before the exam. Lots of manual paperwork for austrocontrol ( I do love iacra in USA as you get your temp cert after you pass so you can fly right away I am guessing I will have to wait 15-30 days before I actually get my license). The last thing today is to do the RT practical it has been hard to schedule with the examiner being busy. So all in all trok a week to get all this done. Plus some time for paperwork. Definitely the whole process can be streamlined for conversions. If anyone from Madrid flying clubs reads this I am coming to join :)

Rus
Spain

So it has been 4 months now and still waiting for my license from Austro control apparently there is a backlog for medical transfers from Spain to Austria. The process is completely not transparent and frustrating to just wait.

I am starting to fully understand why GA is slowly being strangled here in EU. Truly sad that paperwork nightmare is this bad which can be easily solved with a bit of software. I get there are multiple countries involved but all of this is just because of manual steps in my head.

Rus
Spain
Sign in to add your message