Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SAR ops in progress in Iceland for a C172 with 4 SOB

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I used to put on my airline style life jacket for departure for a while in the C150 but had to note fast that pax don’t like this at all at all and run far and away at the looks of it.

I don’t fly many passengers – essentially family only or other pilots – but most people do not understand the risks of flying in a small aircraft, and they should before they get in. If a life jacket scares them away, perhaps they need a more complete briefing on what they are about to do, and the risk that there will be a problem.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

As for diving depths, I claim no particular knowledge of the limits for deep diving, but from the many rescue/recovery events I’ve been involved with, I have always seen very experienced divers, who considered safety first, and making a recovery after second. The fact that a person can get themselves to a remote location, from where recovery is difficult, does not impose upon our skilled rescues personnel the obligation to take on great risk to recovery their body. Sometimes it’s not safe.

You’re absolutely right about this. No recovery is worth losing another life.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

I don’t fly many passengers – essentially family only or other pilots – but most people do not understand the risks of flying in a small aircraft, and they should before they get in. If a life jacket scares them away, perhaps they need a more complete briefing on what they are about to do, and the risk that there will be a problem.

I agree with you, however it is easier said than done often enough. Right now, I am no longer flying on an airport where life jackets are an issue anymore.

Also this was 30 years ago. Then flying was still much more of a new thing which scared people far more than it does today. I had two instances where when I told a pax it would be wise to wear a life jacket for take off that they decided to run. Most of the other time I flew with other pilots or my then GF who knew enough about it not to mind. But at the same time, I was the only pilot out of there I ever knew that did this and I also only started that habit long after my training, where this never had been a topic at all. It is always interesting to see how people see risks. Yet again, none of the ditching survivors wore jackets to my knowledge.

As for briefing, when does this really happen and how do you do it in a positive and confident way, not quite like an insurance salesman who always try to scare the bejazis out of people to get higher coverage sold.

I normally explain to occasional passengers the things they see in airliners too, where is the exit, there is a fire extinguisher and life jackets are available as appropriate. I also tell them what to do in case of an aborted take off or if they need to get out after landing and other basic stuff. But getting into risks of small airplanes would most probably cause 99% of the pax to run away. That is not really what anyone wants. It is also one thing pilots often do wrong, discussing accidents while spouses or other pax are present. Not a good idea, also not before airline flights.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Aircraft, car, MC, horse. If the ice won’t hold, it doesn’t matter how you got yourself out onto the ice.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
56 Posts
Sign in to add your message