Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SAR ops in progress in Iceland for a C172 with 4 SOB

sw1969 wrote:

In this depth your blood will be saturated with nitrogen (assuming that they will use compressed air). During the return to the surface they have to stop at several stages to release the nitrogen. If not the nitrogen will build some bubbles in your blood – you don’t want his to happen ;-)

It’s basically the same when a Helium/Oxygen mixture is in use.

I am aware of that, but this is just a normal aspect of scuba diving, it doesn’t prevent a rescue team from operating.

Emir wrote:

People today regularly do technical dives (for pure fun, me included) to depths exceeding 100m with bottom times more than hour, followed by multi-hour decompression all that in cold water. It has its risks but SAR team should be capable of doing that.

Indeed.

LFST, France

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

This probably explains a little bit more around the commercial operation they were running. Shooting a promotion video for an Antwerp (Belgium) based fashion brand. Whether this was a scouting mission or they actually planned to skydive on this flight isn’t mentioned. involved.

U_S_skateboarder_Belgian_influencer_killed_in_Iceland_crash_pdf

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/us-skateboarder-belgian-influencer-killed-iceland-crash-rcna15308
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/02/08/nicola-bellavia-remembered-as-free-spirited-adventurer-amid-josh-neuman-crash/

Not promising, in many ways.

LFST, France

I did most of the BSAC course many years ago and recall that at 50m, 5 mins on the bottom is all you get if a) you are breathing air (not trimix) and b) you require no decompression stops. That is however the low end of amateur diving, and as Emir says, professionals ought to have a way better capability.

It’s also a sign of the times that the death of a social media influencer makes the news!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It’s also a sign of the times that the death of a social media influencer makes the news!

Well he did have 175k followers who saw his death in a light GA aircraft. That will multiply through the platforms. None of this is good for GA, let alone the poor souls who perished. Just hope all the commercial ops licences tie up….

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

You mean he broadcast video footage all the way down?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

You mean he broadcast video footage all the way down?

Ha, glad your sense of humour has returned post Covid

If only, would make it an easier investigation as to why it dumped in the middle of a loch. Perhaps he did.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

They all got out, so a controlled ditching. Perhaps near the shore, and the aircraft drifted before sinking. No-one able to remain active due to chill, and bodies drift before sinking.
The fitness of the rear seat passengers allowed them to escape.
I would be surprised if even one passenger had a parachute, and a board even more unlikely. Just a normal 3 pax + pilot tourist flight seems most likely.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

They all got out, so a controlled ditching. Perhaps near the shore,

There’s a road running around the entire lake, so unless really low a somewhat weird choice, given that the pilot must have known the chances of survival in these waters, i.e. nil.

Of course all speculation, but with a couple of ‘adventure influencers’ on board I can imagine some low-level showboating, getting too low and a 172 with 4 POB not having the power to climb out again.

BeechBaby wrote:

Ha, glad your sense of humour has returned post Covid

If only, would make it an easier investigation as to why it dumped in the middle of a loch. Perhaps he did.

There might indeed be some offline footage on the devices they for sure had onboard. Hard to tell whether it can be recovered after days underwater.

LFST, France

glad your sense of humour has returned post Covid

Never lost any AFAIK. The thread was closed at 10k posts, ending with some conspiracy stuff.

There might indeed be some offline footage on the devices they for sure had onboard. Hard to tell whether it can be recovered after days underwater.

A social media influencer would have had at least five go-pros around the aircraft… flash cards are usually recoverable from under water.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message