Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RNAV retrofit (and regulations mandating loading everything from a database)

“Capability” does not mean it is illegal to fly with waypoints which are in the database loaded manually (KLN94), or even with user waypoints which are not in the database.

Practically all regulation in GA is concerning equipment carried not equipment used. Equipment usage tends to be mandated in AOC environments, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In the US, when RNAV 1 is used in conjunction with an ILS, the newer charts specify requirements in the PBN equipment box located above the conventional equipment required box. The equipment specification is RNP APCH – GPS rather than RNAV 1. This is to allow legacy GPS systems such as KLN90B and KLN94 which don’t support RNAV 1 as a separate PBN Spec, but do support the RNP APCH PBN Spec to be used. RNP APCH includes RNAV 1 as part of the Initial, intermediate, and MAP segments. With one of these older units, the waypoints should be in the database and can be entered separately to navigate the RNAV segments.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

With one of these older units, the waypoints should be in the database and can be entered separately to navigate the RNAV segments.

Well my experience is that the KLN90 is struggling with exactly that more and more even in Europe. To my experience the transitions are problematic for the KLN90 series. Including SIDs and STARs. Yes you can work around it. The approach itself in general is never an issue when LNAV minima are published, e.g it can’t show or represent the 8.33 Frequencies…I mean we are talking a GPS from the previous century….I love the unit and now it in and out but I feel its time to decommission it for a shelf life… I still have a NOKIA phone but OK a smart phone keeps me entertained more :-)

EBST

I have found the KLN94 has every waypoint in its database, even if it does not have the “RNAV1” procedures.

In GA, regs never specify how you fly something, providing you fly it accurately etc.

So I think NCyankee’s statement above

With one of these older units, the waypoints should be in the database and can be entered separately to navigate the RNAV segments.

takes care of this, and I meet the requirements for equipment carriage.

The KLN90B, I don’t know what database it has. I would expect it is the same as the KLN94 although I recall reading stuff about it having less storage than the KLN94’s 48MB CF cartridges, so parts of the database had to be omitted.

Administrator

I would think that RNAV waypoints that are used in a conventional approach would be in the KLN90B database. Less likely would be waypoints only used on SID/STAR that require RNAV 1, as the KLN90B should not be flying these procedures.

KUZA, United States

Curiously, the KLN94 seems to have them all.

Administrator

Try ELLX LX242 I don’t have it in…
When a CDO can be approved by ATC, as soon as practicable after first call on the APP frequency, ATC will provide a clearance to proceed on a CDO via one or more of the following significant points: IRTON, LX242, LX243, LX063, LX062, BREDI & PONIG.

Published in the AIP under transitions AD section
2.3.4 Transitions (RWY 24)
2.3.4.1 Waypoints
LX242 494716.6N 0062317.8E

Last Edited by Vref at 19 Oct 15:44
EBST

The above are all in the KLN94

@vref

Administrator
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message