Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

France starts mandating (3D) RNP approach capability for IFR (mandatory VNAV/LPV)

Just came across this AIC.

The first bit (requiring RNP approach capability) makes some sense, because if the airport only has RNP approaches, then in order to fly IFR, you will need that.

The second step (requiring 3D capability) seems OTT to me. Means: no more IFR flights to Nantes (and many more airports will surely follow) with say a GNS430 as of 2025…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 Apr 16:15
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Right, so they required RNP APCH (“LNAV”) now and from 1-Jan-2025 only the devices capable of LNAV/VNAV?
Strange…

EGTR

It’s everywhere, including UK

PBN Implementing Regulation EU 2018/1048 (PBN IR) mandates RNP APCH to LNAV/VNAV and LPV minima at all runways without precision approach capabilities by 3 December 2020 and at all instrument runway ends by 25 January 2024.

PBN CAA

EU

From June 2030, all phases of flight should be based on 3D PBN with conventional navigation restricted to backup role (with the exception of CAT II, CAT IIIA or CAT IIIB operations).

boscomantico wrote:

The second step (requiring 3D capability) seems OTT to me. Means: no more IFR flights to Nantes (and many more airports will surely follow) with say a GNS430 as of 2025…

I don’t think this can get ever enforced for GPS: 3D depends on signal availability? my understanding, many airports in France were looking to enforce 3D RNP carriage due to environmental constraints (sloppy 2D and funky VPT are the work of the devil)

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Apr 17:22
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I didn’t bother myself changing fields 10 and 18 within the applications I use for submitting flight plans but I guess I’ll have to do that in order to be compliant and to state actual equipment on board

So for G1000/GIA63W (RNP to LPV minima) I guess R in field 10 and S2 in field 18 should be added.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

G1000/GIA63W (RNP to LPV minima) I guess R in field 10 and S2 in field 18 should be added.

For that system you should add B, G and R in field 10 and PBN/A1B2C2D2O2S1 in field 18. S2 means Baro VNAV, which you don’t have. OTOH the B in field 10 means LPV which you do have. This is compliant according to the French AIC.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

For that system you should add B, G and R in field 10 and PBN/A1B2C2D2O2S1 in field 18. S2 means Baro VNAV, which you don’t have. OTOH the B in field 10 means LPV which you do have. This is compliant according to the French AIC.

Thanks!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Airborne_Again wrote:

S2 means Baro VNAV, which you don’t have.

How come? I thought G1000 (GIA-63W) supports Baro-VNAV…

EGTR

Do any GA have Baro-VNAV?

I thought it was the larger aircrafts that only has it.
What’s wrong with RNP+LPV?

Strange if you NEED Baro-VNAV for Nantes in future.

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

What’s wrong with RNP+LPV?

That is “B” in FPL and Nantes is happy

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

So what flight plan codes will be required for

• IFR flying in France
  • IFR landing in France

Presumably Eurocontrol will be enforcing this via flight plan validation – as they currently enforce 8.33 capabiity with “Y”.

How will anybody be checking that you actually have that capability in the aircraft? We’ve done this years ago with PRNAV, RNAV SIDs/STARs, etc. There isn’t a policeman within a 100nm radius of any airport with the mental capability to physically check this, and probably less than 1% of the employees of any national CAA have such a mental capability.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
70 Posts
Sign in to add your message