Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

France starts mandating (3D) RNP approach capability for IFR (mandatory VNAV/LPV)

so they get a “virtual ILS” everywhere they go

Is that a “synthetic LNAV+V”? Avidydine new versions, GTN and some GNS can get you one to strips like Little Snoring, even on top of any waypoint DVR VOR, or XIDIL, or Shoreham ARP with 50ft crossing height

My understanding ATC clear for RNP procedure, they have no clue if one is flying LNAV minima or LPV minima

The requirement here is different you will need L/VNAV equipement to fly to LFRS even if you intend to fly LNAV minima because you are a cautious airline or fly Radar ILS because the AOC approval prohibit use of PBN approach

Here is what happens to airlines when Radar ILS or DME ILS is out of service (they could have been better off flying direct vertical navigation on GPS down to safe altitude or threshold rather that going freestyle on timed NDB, as in those glorious WW2 days), luckily TWAS kicked in to save the show, it does not give confidence in airliners

https://www.skybrary.aero/accidents-and-incidents/b738-vicinity-bergerac-france-2015

On non-precision procedures, one ATC told me he saw lot of scary stuff where he had to issue clearances under 1000ft agl, this was in Hearthrow, imagine in non-radar environment!

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Apr 07:15
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Airlines fly to Greek islands, with say a VOR approach, and they fly a synthetic ILS. On the radio they ask for the VOR approach, or even for the NDB approach if that is the only one.

This is not some GA box producing an “unofficial glideslope”. This is a certified capability, approved in the AOC OPS manual. Is anyone aware of any such equipment for GA? Synthetic GS? I don’t think so.

The point is that on the radio you ask for Published Approach X only; how you fly it is up to you, and in the GA non-AOC world there is no reg on what equipment is used to fly with. This reg is about carriage of (practically) SBAS kit.

one ATC told me he saw lot of scary stuff where he had to issue clearances under 1000ft agl,

I don’t understand. EGLL has ILS and all customers there fly the ILS, CAT3. I can’t see that failing. There is always a backup system. He may have been pulling your leg… Anyway, off topic.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is no “official” glideslope on VOR procedures, it’s either “nothing” or “advisory” glideslope

L/VNAV slopes are official ones including the ones down to 250ft at Heathrow

PS: NXI series gives +V when you load VOR22 at Rouen, I am sure it gives synthetic ILS in Greece VOR but I have not been that far

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Apr 07:41

Peter wrote:

Is anyone aware of any such equipment for GA? Synthetic GS? I don’t think so.

All Garmin IFR navigators with SBAS gives a synthetic GS (“LNAV+V”). I imagine equipment from other manufacturers also do.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

You get +V only if there is a GPS approach published. So

NXI series gives +V when you load VOR22 at Rouen

is a new one. Is there no GPS approach for 22?

I know lots of handhelds have had a “DIY descent” feature, and maybe some certifieds have too; sometimes these are limited in V guidance to 1000ft or some such.

On a practical interpretation, this French reg translates to having an SBAS box, so not legal to land on a procedure which you requested on the radio is a GPS procedure unless you carry an SBAS box.

I don’t quite get it though. What is the exact translation of the reg? If say the IAP is LPV but there is a published non-LPV V profile, is a SBAS box still required? As I see it, they would have to de-publish the non-LPV V profile. And then what happens if the integrity is not met?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Yes, there is an ILS22, RNP22 (LNAV only) in addition to VOR22

I don’t see the relevance of RNP22? you load VOR22 in GPS and it gives synthetic ILS for that VOR procedure
NXI gives synthetic ILS for NDB27 & NDB23 in Scilies (there are no other approaches in EGHE)

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Apr 11:48

Peter wrote:

You get +V only if there is a GPS approach published. So

NXI series gives +V when you load VOR22 at Rouen

AFAIK this has always been the case. Of course there must be an overlay procedure in the navigator database. The GTN650Xi also gives a GS for the EGHE NDB 27 approach.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

There is no “synthetic ILS” per se, although there is advisory vertical guidance and it can be provided by a Baro-VNAV system or a SBAS type GPS navigator. The airlines predominantly use Baro-VNAV to provide vertical guidance on NPA approaches to provide CDFA vertical guidance to an MDA. There is also an Opspec that allows certificated operators to use a DA in lieu of the MDA under specific circumstances.

The GTN Xi series added +V for VOR or NDB straight in approaches to a runway, you still have the VOR/NDB on a CDI or RMI for course monitoring and the VOR/NDB must be in service. Certificated carriers using the Opspec don’t require the monitoring of the VOR/NDB for course guidance and the VOR/NDB does not need to be in service. I can fly a VOR approach with +V using the GTN750 Xi and G500TXi in my Bonanza by keeping tuning the VOR and displaying an RMI indication to comply with the course monitoring. I keep the CDI source selection on GPS for lateral and vertical guidance and this is what drives the autopilot if it is used. I can’t fly an NDB approach legally because my ADF receiver was removed 23 years ago. If using the CDFA method, a DDA equal to the MDA+50 feet is recommended to be used so one does not but the MDA, which is still an absolute minimum unless the runway is spotted.

KUZA, United States

AFAIK this has always been the case. Of course there must be an overlay procedure in the navigator database

There is [my bold]

Yes, there is an ILS22, RNP22 (LNAV only) in addition to VOR22

The GTN Xi series added +V for VOR or NDB straight in approaches to a runway

That’s interesting. I wonder if the IFD boxes have this too.

But anyway all this is talking about SBAS boxes.

Why the talk about Nantes?

no more IFR flights to Nantes

I don’t understand that.

They would have to unpublish this, no?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

There is [my bold]

One can argue all over the place, maybe for Rouen because it has RNP22 is why I one gets +V for VOR22, who knows?

If we take Scillies EGHE, they only have NDB procedures, one still get Synthetic ILS using NXI GPS…
There are no RNP procedure in Scillies

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Apr 13:21
Sign in to add your message