Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Resources for familiarisation to flying in the US

Fuji_Abound wrote:

JasonC – I didnt know that, do they give you a 61.75 without a BFR. Thinking about it, I guess so and then you need the BFR?

Yep, but you can’t use it until you get the BFR. Essentially the 61.75 certificate is valid but to be PIC of a US registered aircraft you must have a BFR. There was a degree of confusion about it but the FAA Counsel settled the issue in 2013 in the Collins decision

Last Edited by JasonC at 27 Mar 13:19
EGTK Oxford

Noe wrote:

For simple flights, does skydemon / Gamin pilot work well enough, or should I really get the Foreflight trial?

I’d suggest you trying ForeFlight. It is so much better suited for the US airspace structure. And if you are in mobile phone reception range (or with additional equipment) you can get free, almost real time weather, including radar images.

Given I’ve never flown in the US, and haven’t flown a 172 / PA28 in a while, it seems like the BFR would likely be a good “lesson” and blending it with a checkout doesn’t seem like a bad idea to me.

It’s not a bad idea, but it will incur some additional ground and flight time and costs.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

+1 for ForeFlight, this is the real deal and used by pretty much everyone here (US). It uses the real (scanned) sectional charts (switchable to vector-based charts) and has become the de-facto standard EFB.

I’ve also never been asked my license at an FBO (other than at a checkout, of course), but I guess at very big / busy ones than can happen. As already has been stated, you need a photo ID with you to ‘validate’ your license.

If you need a BFR (sounds like you do), then combine that with the checkout. That said, if you’re only there for two weeks and are looking to get one or two flights in, then it might be a better idea to fly these with an instructor in the right seat. Unless, of course, you are planning to do this on a regular basis.

FWIW, I have seen some legal opinion (can’t remember where ) which says that for non-US people, a passport is the only FAA acceptable form of State issued photo ID.

The UK driving license, for example, was not compliant.

I don’t remember where this came from but old hands on the European FAA scene might remember this.

But the UK does not have the State issued “identity cards” which are quite common on mainland Europe, and those may be acceptable.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve had a BFR as checkout with the first FBO I rented from. If I’ve flown a few hours solo there, sometimes just a circuit to rent elsewhere. More often an hour with an instructor at second FBO.
The hour ground in the BFR can be angled if you make clear things you are uncertain about.
Check your insurance liability with the FBO. Last time I had a deductible about the same as on my Group aircraft at home.
I’m dubious of personal cover granted on the basis of a US address which is, in fact, not yours.
Check your travel insurance covers flying in non-commercial aircraft and as a pilot.
You may need councelling on return to Europe to help adapt to the European costs.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

A flight review is definitely required. It consists of an hour on the ground and an hour in the air with a certified flight instructor. So budget for 2 hours of instructor time at $40-80/hr depending where you are. It’s worht making good use of that time to go through chart interpretation, airport markings, class E airspace etc to help you absorb the differences.

Skyvector allows you to select a specific sectional chart where you can pan to the edges to see all the symbol detail and airspace schedules etc. Worth a bit of study before you depart. If you want to fly the Hudson River corridor, there is a dedicated chart that’s available on line and you’d be well advised to have a thorough study before setting off, especially now there’s an adjacent TFR around Trump Tower!

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Just a thought but dont forget if you have time you can do your BFR in the UK / Europe (not sure where you are) before you go. It is one less thing to stress about.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Just a thought but dont forget if you have time you can do your BFR in the UK / Europe (not sure where you are) before you go. It is one less thing to stress about.

That is what I would do. You just need a CFI.

EGTK Oxford

What’s the point in splitting the BFR from the checkout? Isn’t it better to just let the two become one. The checkout will be at best 30 minutes long. So then you have 1hr BFR + 30 min checkout. Isn’t 1 hour BFR in the aircraft that you’re going to be flying, in the country that you’re going to be flying, a better option?

I’d also find the ground hour part of the BFR very useful if done in the USA, but largely useless if done in Europe where I’m familiar flying. Last time I hired in the USA, that’s what I did. The ground part started off a bit like a test, but the CFI quickly realised that I’d spent much time studying the rules, and we quickly changed to discussing my actual plans, and what services I could get, and how to make the most use of them, and local tips. We discussed the airports that I planned to visit and what I could expect, and some possible pitfalls. Far better do this with a CFI in the area that you’ll be flying than one on another continent in my opinion.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

you need to do airplane checkout at the rental anyway. So just tell them in advance to merge it with BFR. Getting BFR is the first step after you get your temporary paper licence printed in the FAA office. I would not try the path “someone at Euroga suggested I do not need BFR”
perfect resource is AOPA. They have plenty of courses online.

LKKU, LKTB
Sign in to add your message