Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PPR: If you have rats in your house, do you block up the hole from the sewer, or do you write an app for them?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We have had this in Norway for some years now.

https://www.myppr.no/

I kind of like and dislike it. It certainly makes PPR simple. It also is a great place to put info about the airfield. It is useful, no doubt about it. But it doesn’t change the fact that PPR is PPR

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

If I had to request, to go to Tesco, but not to go to Waitrose, guess where I would regularly buy my groceries?
Airfields are for aircraft to arrive at and depart from.
Yes there are a couple of special cases, and yes there are a couple where GA is welcome, but not the norm, so a request makes sense. But this really is BS for the main part.

United Kingdom

Can anyone guess how this outfit plans to make money?

I asked them but got no reply.

Administrator

Presumably they take a cut of the landing fee.
Airport can save staff costs if all PPR requests and payment of landing and parking charges are done online, so don’t mind losing party of the landing fee.

From a pilot’s point of view, I don’t understand the objection. You can now get PPR at any time, not just opening hours. Don’t have to chase up someone to pay your landing fee, and the airport becomes more financially stable.

Seems a win all-around.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Quote Does Smart PPR take a percentage of transactions?
No, we only charge a monthly fee for using our web based service, all PPR fees go direct to the airfield minus any fees taken by payment provider PayPal.

It seems they are living from subscription only…

Croatia

From a pilot’s point of view, I don’t understand the objection.

Because if an aerodrome is open to the public, its open, I shouldn’t need to ask to fly there !!

The only places that you should need to ask permission for are private airstrips.

Car analogy: Would you expect to have to phone up and ask permission to drive to a shopping center? A public car park? Would you pitch up to a factory and expect to be let in to have a look around? Would you pitch up to someone’s house and expect to be able to leave your car in their driveway?

And don’t start telling me “apps” are the solution… I have spent the last couple of days trying to “plan” things to see and do in a big city … where you need to literally “reserve a slot” to visit pretty much everything….on a website or app or…. I just can’t help but think that 20+ years ago it was easier to pitch up, possibly queue, and get in…

Regards, SD..

Last Edited by skydriller at 27 Aug 07:46

Airport can save staff costs if all PPR requests and payment of landing and parking charges are done online, so don’t mind losing party of the landing fee.

There is an alternative way to save money, and it doesn’t involve an app: don’t have PPR

There are few reasons for PPR. I can think of these

• planning permission requires it (not actually sure how true this is, despite claims) and the airport probably hates it too
  • big fly-ins obviously need to check (anybody organising one and not checking needs a brain transplant and preferably not from Holly Willoughby)
  • you have only 3 parking spots
  • there are 0.5m deep rabbit holes so only a Maule can land there
  • it is a private strip and you don’t want traffic (and the details got published against your will)

Anyway, I posted the outrageous threat title because I really dislike this constantly growing vermin which is taking over the whole world. Even in my business (electronics) about 1/3 of the trade mags I get are selling compliance services.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I really dislike this constantly growing vermin which is taking over the whole world.

It littered every industry, even the ones with very low regulation (if such exist now a days).

Last Edited by Emir at 27 Aug 08:32
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

you have only 3 parking spots

Usually self-generated limitation either due to bad planning or no actual will for expanding business or no initiative to change something (“it’s like this since the airport has been built”). The example of airport we all like LDSB with official parking arrangement with situation that has never and will never happen there: 3 mid-size CAT jets at the same time.

Last Edited by Emir at 27 Aug 08:47
LDZA LDVA, Croatia
146 Posts
Sign in to add your message