Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Poll : who flies in his (her) own aircraft?

Started in the 90's flying C150/172 in a club and rent a PA28R. Part owner of a SR20 in 2004-2007. Since 2008 own a DA42 and fly Robinson 44. No further career moves planned, other than space travel one day as a pax?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I've owned my C150M for 26 years, and now also own a Thruston Teal amphibian, which needed a home, so I bought it. I keep them both at here at my home. I also fly a variety of other light singles and twins with reasonable frequency, some test flying, some ferry flying.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

I own a 3rd share in a TB20 since 2004.

LGMG Megara, Greece

I have seen this TB20 listed for sale. Have you just bought it, and the info is out of date, or are you selling?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I own one of the last dozen (or so) Socata ST-10 "Diplomates" together with a friend. We bought it from the first owner in early 2011. It's the first aircraft for me, my friend had already co-owned a Beech 23 and a Cessna 182.

I did my PPL in 2005 and have flown about 380 hours since then. At the moment I'm finishing my IR/ME/fATPL and the CRI (SEP) course.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I've had my Aerostar 601P since late May. I upgraded from an older Aero Commander twin. It's the perfect machine for me - fast, pressurised, all weather and economical on fuel. I hope to be able to keep her for many years to come, economy willing.

I have always flown club airplanes and often friends' ones. Last few years mostly my girlfriend's C172.

But I have now bought my very own C172, hopefully it will be ready from maintenance next week, I still haven't flown it.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

Sole owner or syndicate - it seems very few pilots ever changes category. I guess it is a personality thing. Syndicates work for me.

1/6th share in a Piper Dakota takes care of 95% of my flying transportation needs. It is available for me when I need it 9 out of 10 times. 1/12th share in a Grob 109B motorglider for recreational flying. Also surprisingly good availability. For special needs or when Dakota or Grob are not available, I borrow a DA-40D (love it), a Piper 6XT (scaringly high fuel flow), a Piper Lance (7 pax) or a Piper Cub. Flying them for instruction helps me maintaining currency on them all. The club's four PA-28's, an Arrow IV, a Cessna 150 and a 172 are also available but I guess I know them too well from PPL instruction, so I do not use them for myself. Renting is possible at my home airport also, but I have not rented an aeroplane for many years now. For long trips I used to borrow a Mooney Ovation, and before that an F33 Bonanza with engine upgrade, but I don't really fly long trips anymore, so I gave up keeping current on the Mooney (known icing). I do miss a de-iced (and fast) aeroplane sometimes, though. I also miss something that is aerobatic.

The Dakota has lousy engine instrumentation but is fine otherwise. Had it been mine alone that would have been fixed a long time ago. But then, many other things would not. Only having to pay 1/6 of fixed expenses and deal with 1/6 of the problems and tasks of owning an aeroplane more than makes up for the disadvantages.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

The Cessna 210N non-Turbo not beauty mid-size-van as a owner. First airplane 9 month after PPL and TB20 charter custumer.

EDAZ

Adam,

good to see you here. What happened to your Commander? Has she found a new home yet?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message