Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying the Lancair Evolution turboprop in Europe (production moved to Europe)

Yes ;-)

Peter – there are as you know certified SETP’s you can get into where you don’t have the hassle for less. I’m not sure I would spend $1.5million on a homebuilt in Europe when a Jetprop/Mirage is a lot less than that. In the US it’s a different game. I certainly wouldn’t spend $1.3million on an Evolution, when the same money buys you a Piaggio Avanti. But hey, I’m a little weird that way…

BTW, stand by for info in the Avanti thread soon – I’ve just spoken to an owner at length.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 17 Jul 21:11

You don’t get a chute in a Mirage and for many (e. g. Aeroplus and Flyer 59) this is a big factor. The Avanti you can’t compare regarding operating costs. As for the problems that might occur flying an Experimental abroad in Europe – at least IFR – I agree.

EDLE

It is possible that cross-border progress on this may well be very slow.

Do a search here on the word “homebuilt” for threads which illustrate the magnitude of the problem. In most cases it is not even “legal” to be long-term based in a country other than the aircraft reg although keeping below the radar seems to work for many from the CAA action point of view. However such operation does in theory enable an insurer to avoid a pay-out if an incident happened after the maximum allowed stay period and the insurer knew the regs (or digs them out, for a high profile incident).

This is all below the EASA remit and the national organisations are hugely under-resourced. The UK LAA, for example, will reportedly have the capacity to process only 2 IFR applications per month, and one estimate is that 100 might apply… And what % of homebuilders want to fly abroad? The current % is very small, though it may increase with IFR… but then IFR abroad won’t be allowed anyway!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Many of the UK-Europas are well travelled throughout Europe even down to the Canaries. One of them flew to Barcelona for dinner with his daughter and back the other morning. I thing it’s the same with the Vans and Lancairs.

Last Edited by europaxs at 18 Jul 06:17
EDLE

Yes – RVs especially fly a lot. But I am looking at how much pressure could be applied by the national organisations. From what I can see very little has changed in many years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

VFR is no problem. IFR – I wouldn’t found my decision for buying an Experimental on conventions regarding IFR-border crossings, that might or might not come in the future.

EDLE

Regarding TKS, I’ve seen advertisements for Lancair with full airframe deicing.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Why don’t you go to the Lancair site and have a look? 30 seconds reveal (1) electrical prop deice and (2) optional boot kit.

The entire builders manual is online just if you are interested what you would need to do to [pretend to] build one.

Biggin Hill

There are cool homebuilts, there are ridiculous homebuilds, and there are homebuilts that are both cool and ridiculous as well as insanely expensive.

btw, it’s perfectly legal to build and fly this in Norway and Sweden

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message