Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying an RV-8 registered in UK with an ICAO licence in Europe?

@Hugo66, not sure how far you are in your intelligence gathering, but just to make sure you’ve seen this “recent” thread, UK CAA no longer authorising UK AMEs outside the UK

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

The answer by BAZL came in yesterday by email. Short version (if I understand it well): Switzerland FOCA is ok with me flying a G-registered homebuilt with my EASA PPL. He cited the situation of N-registered aircraft based in Switzerland for which the US FAA is ok with an EASA PPL within Switzerland but requires a US based-on PPL for flying outside of Switzerland. For the UK he said the UK had to decide and I would have to ask them. Since CAA told me that based on Art. 150 I can fly a G-registered non-part 21 aircraft even in the UK with my EASA PPL I conclude they don’t mind me flying it outside of the UK. All good.

Switzerland

For the UK he said the UK had to decide and I would have to ask them. Since CAA told me that based on Art. 150 I can fly a G-registered non-part 21 aircraft even in the UK with my EASA PPL I conclude they don’t mind me flying it outside of the UK. All good.

Yes that hangs together well

With a certified G-reg you could not do this, because the UK CAA requires a UK license for it.

This kind of thing has historically supported RV values well Like for example when, for a few years, the UK PMD (medical self declaration) was usable only on Annex 1, or when you needed an NPPL to use the PMD, etc, etc…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Good and happy for you it’ll work out 👍🏻
I was suspecting it to be ok from the Swiss side since I also do fly an N registered homebuilt aircraft, but do stay within national airspace as my US based-on licence became volatile with the downing of the WTC.

Last Edited by Dan at 04 Apr 13:54
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Update FYI: The CAA Technical Lead Flight Crew Licensing sent me a further email stating that I can fly a G-registered non-part 21 AC within UK airspace with my EASA PPL, but to fly outside of UK airspace, I need either a ’Validation (which she will now issue for my plane and myself based on my CAA-approved CFI checkride and EASA medical type 2) or a CAA PPL license conversion and medical at least type 2.

It’s so weird that I am allowed to fly with a European license in the UK but not in Europe!!! Why??

I started the conversion EASA—>CAA PPL in February and will finalize it these days. It needs a check ride with a CAA-approved CFI on a part 21-AC (which took me many flights since I needed to demonstrate a navigation flight calculated manually with in-flight diversions on the paper map and ruler plus the usual air work and landing exercises PLUS theoretical tests on Air Law, Human Performance and (never really clear if needed) Radiotelephony. Additionally, I must pass an oral language proficiency test (despite mine being ICAO level 5) and a medical type 2, both in the UK. Quite an effort!!

Switzerland

It’s so weird that I am allowed to fly with a European license in the UK but not in Europe!!! Why??

I think the 1st part of that is the historical CAA concession to fly a G-reg on any ICAO PPL (worldwide, VFR, or IFR OCAS which is you think about it is very limited) which was killed (under EASA pressure) c. 2012, and later restored for uncertified aircraft.

The 2nd part is because the UK CAA can authorise what it likes within the UK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

…but Switzerland does not care (according to them) if I fly my G-reg in Swiss airspace with EASA or CAA PPL. I have not asked France, Italy, or Germany, but who in EASA then cares? Or why would CAA care if they are ok with EASA PPL for their own airspace?

I understand that it is certainly because of the historical development of laws in a complex system that has developed a life of its own and escaped human logic and control. We are often subject to being defeated by complexity. No one intentionally gives us a hard time. Cheers!

Switzerland

“… based on my CAA-approved CFI checkride and EASA medical [class] 2…”

“I started the conversion EASA—>CAA PPL … It needs a check ride with a CAA-approved CFI …”

You’re using the word “checkride” to mean two completely different flights. For a 28-day validation, an acclimatisation flight (whatever that means) must be done with a UK FI or CRI. For a conversion, a PPL skill test needs doing with a UK flight examiner.

PS, CFI usually means chief flight instructor in Europe and the Gosport System countries.

London, United Kingdom
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message