Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any way to hold a UK PPL and an EU/EASA PPL concurrently?

I am sure this has come up before but I can’t find a decent answer.

A UK issued PPL is an ICAO PPL. This is true for both the UK national PPL (which seems pointless now) and the “proper one” (whatever you call it).

An EU issued PPL is an ICAO PPL too.

I can’t see why you could not hold both concurrently.

Take the case of somebody who just got the UK one now. He can either do say a French PPL ab initio (presumably his UK training would be acceptable towards it – does anyone know?) or he can follow the 100hr route where, once you have 100hrs (is that 100 post-PPL or 100 TT?) you sit a couple of exams and do a skills test. The examiner needs to be EASA approved, and the AME too (because he needs an EASA medical as well as the UK medical).

Otherwise, why would so many have done a SOLI (state of license issue) change? I guess because it is just a paper exercise, with the added benefit that it removes any trace of “UK” from your paperwork

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you have got a UK Part-FCL PPL now, nothing stops you (after getting 100hrs total P1+P/UT and EASA medical) from passing 2 theory exams and a skills test. That should work NOW, but was not possible before Brexit has happened.

EGTR

Many of us held an EASA PPL and a UK PPL after converting to an EASA PPL which became invalid at Brexit. It was a CAA option, costing more.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

On a point of detail, an EASA PPL would remain valid until (currently) 31/12/2022 for a G-reg.

The UK national PPL because unusable on a certified plane in 2018, but is usable again IIRC (along with the NPPL+PMD).

Administrator

Surely any pilot from UK who SOLi’d to an EASA state could then reapply for a UK licence and have both?

I also don’t see an issue with applying for an EASA licence issued in an EASA state while resident in the UK. Many ATOs are approved for EASA training and skill tests u to CPL level.

You could equally hold an FAA licence concurrently if you wish, and those from other countries too if you were really determined.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A UK issued PPL is an ICAO PPL. This is true for both the UK national PPL (which seems pointless now) and the “proper one” (whatever you call it).
An EU issued PPL is an ICAO PPL too.
I can’t see why you could not hold both concurrently.

I have a French issued EASA PPL and a UK (ICAO) PPL.
I got the UK (ICAO) PPL off the back of my UK issued EASA PPL in 2017 then SOLIed to France.

I have read somewhere that I could now, if I want, re-apply for a UK (Part21) licence off the back of my UK (ICAO) PPL… but I havent looked into that and am hoping that someone somewhere will see sense such that eventually there wont be a difference between UK (ICAO) and UK (Part21) PPLs… But that would be far too logical I guess!!

Regards, SD..

Is it possible, when you have enough hours to do the PPL skills test, to do a skills test at a normal ATO and get the UK “FCL” PPL, and then fly another skills test at an EASA approved ATO/FTO and get the EASA PPL?

If not, why not? The syllabus is exactly the same.

Administrator

Peter did you mean ab initio to 45 hrs? You could do this easily if your ATO holds dual CAA-EASA approval – the hours before your license are supposed to be “training hours”, right? I’m not sure it works otherwise.

EGTR

Most of the 45hrs will have been done since 1/1/2021.

It seems such an obvious way!

It has “since for ever” been possible to do both a JAA/EASA PPL and an FAA PPL, at half a dozen schools in the US, using exactly this method. The training obviously needs to meet the requirements of both licenses, and in this case it obviously will.

Unless Brussels has blocked post-1/1/2021 UK training from being allowed towards an EASA PPL, this should work.

And, could a UK based EASA approved ATO/FTO do a single skills test and issue both licenses?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Most of the 45hrs will have been done since 1/1/2021.

Reading all the fresh documentation, I don’t think it is going to work. It would be easier to get UK PPL and then (after achieving 100 hrs total) just do the usual conversion.

Peter wrote:

Unless Brussels has blocked post-1/1/2021 UK training from being allowed towards an EASA PPL, this should work.

I think after 1-Jan-2021 they just block all previous experience as it is no longer EASA experience, unless the ATO was a dual-ATO before that date.
Everything we held before the midnight turned into pumpkin, right?

Peter wrote:

And, could a UK based EASA approved ATO/FTO do a single skills test and issue both licenses?

I think that needs to be confirmed with a specific ATO, just like the hours.
The likes of Stapleford should be able to confirm…

EGTR
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message