Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New Diamond DA42-VI Configuration

ADF → yes, gps substitution makes practical sense, but legally, it is required if part of the IFR procedure. It’s a drop in the bucket on a new 42. I’d get it, to do everything 100% right with a new airplane ordered to my specs.

Would I spend a couple thousand Euros for ADF on a plane with a purchase price equivalent to the airconditioning option in a DA42? No, I wouldn’t. But on a plane 25 times more expensive, I would, for peace of mind.

DME → for IFR in europe it’s a no brainer, get it.

always learning
LO__, Austria

How much as the ADF option for a DA42? It should cost much less than the aircon option.

It is a remote box, displaying as an RMI bearing on the G1000.

Past threads on ADF on a G1000.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’d guess it’s between 3k and 5k USD, so relatively speaking a drop in the bucket.

(On a 40k plane for instance, which as a completely different capability spectrum, 5k isn’t worth it imho.)

Last Edited by Snoopy at 28 Mar 10:20
always learning
LO__, Austria

For (restart) Cessna single engine, the optional SB kit is 10k$ for ADF and 16k$ for DME.

EDIT : plus manpower, depending on pre installation, between 15 and 25 hours

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 28 Mar 10:49

lionel wrote:

There was something like the satellite strike data (Garmin Connext or Golze ADL or blitzortung or …) show only ground strikes, but a StormScope also shows lightning strikes between/within a cloud. I’m not sure how much this is worth or not.

As far as I can tell, strike data for Garmin Connext is collected by satellites and covers all of the globe. I’ve seen strike data while flying over ocean. Can’t see a ground based system pick that up. If the monitoring is done by satellites, why would it be limited to ground strikes only?

Last Edited by loco at 28 Mar 11:00
LPFR, Poland

Here’s the coverage for lightning in Connext:

LPFR, Poland

I would agree with most of what Peter has said but I would recommend getting the ADF fitted.

This is not because I think ADF is very useful but as most DA42’s sold by private owners end up at flight training organisations it will help with the resale value and not having it could be a deal breaker.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 28 Mar 17:33

loco wrote:

As far as I can tell, strike data for Garmin Connext is collected by satellites and covers all of the globe. I’ve seen strike data while flying over ocean. Can’t see a ground based system pick that up. If the monitoring is done by satellites, why would it be limited to ground strikes only?

I don’t know. If anybody has actual information, that would be interesting. This article from 2005 says:

The majority of the ground-based lightning data comes from the National Lightning Detection Network (NLDN). (…) The ground-based lightning sensors instantly detect the electromagnetic signals given off when lightning strikes the earth’s surface. Cloud-to-cloud and intra-cloud strikes are not detected.

Does this apply to ADL and/or Garmin Connext? I expect @Sebastian_G could answer for ADL :)

ELLX

sedatedokc, just in case you didn’t mention this…

Make absolutely sure you order the premium seats. (reclinable & w/lumbar support)

I had the standard seats in my old DA40 & after 2 hrs you started wishing you were somewhere else. (pre-Oregon Aero cushions)

Conversely I’ve had +12 hr days in the DA42-VI premium seats & felt completely comfortable.

My DA40 had the manual rudder pedals – I bought the electrical ones for the DA42-VI. Don’t go cheap. The electrical ones are just neater.

Oxygen – I bought a portable MH Oxygen cylinder & O2D2 regulator. I enjoy the flexibility as I use the cylinder across different aircraft. Also the built-in stuff require added maintenance during annuals. Your call, either solution is fine. If you’re 3-4 people in the cabin, the built-in is definitely the way to go.

I skipped Amsafe seatbelts. (which I had on the DA40) I reckoned they wouldn’t protect much in mid airs or loss of control anyway. They’re a hassle to maintain during inspections as well.

I skipped aircon too. I had it on the DA40 & it broke all the time. When it did work, it was way underpowered. Also it obviously does no good when the engines aren’t running during pre-flight. As soon as you get to FL100 aircon’s moot anyway..

DME is indispensable – it’s my primary independent instrument cross check on ILS-DME approaches. Also you can display DME independently on the G1000, separate from the Nav 1-2 bearing pointers, unlinked to the FPL.

I have stormscope. It’s a weak addition to the wx radar, however, it’s got longer range. I don’t use it a lot, but I’m sorta kinda glad I have it – it’s just a secondary device, which tends to provide a nice confirmation of what you’re seeing out the window. You can skip stormscope completely with sat wx/ligthtning.

Last Edited by Hodja at 29 Mar 05:48

Peter wrote:

He can see only distance and relative altitude, to transponding targets, not a bearing.

The legality (which I am sure nobody is going to care about anyway) of the Skyecho 2 thing is to do with the transmission from it, to achieve SIL=1. Many previous threads – example – on this topic, which goes round and round

You may be right, but people are installing these ADS-B devices, and isn’t it the transponder (mode S) that transmits in any case? FLARM is nice to have. Gliders don’t fly in predictable ways, are very difficult to see, and at certain times there are lots of them.

In Norway SSR are being replaced by WAM. I don’t know if that changes anything.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message