Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New Diamond DA42-VI Configuration

There must be all kinds of optimal ways to register an aircraft. I am a US citizen so the N reg could have been a possible route. Or at least own it through a company.

Honestly I am going through the most straightforward (thus expensive) route with private ownership in Europe + VAT to try and avoid any hassles. So far still stuck with paperwork issues though.

Norway

Lovely looking brand new aircraft, congratulations! Did you consider placing it on the N-reg? There is a massive shortage of DA-42s as the integrated schools can’t get their hands on them. I wouldn’t be surprised if your aircraft is now worth more than you paid for it.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Congratulations and good luck with the IR!

EHRD, Netherlands

Yes, congratulations!

Acquiring a new aircraft is one of life’s big moments. Enjoy!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Congratulations on the nice new plane

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Snoopy and Emir!

Ibra wrote:

Is that related to NAA? or something to do with taxes & imports (Norway being out of customs and vat union)

It is a rule specific to Norway CAA. There may be ways around it but I gave up. I am a private owner. AFAIK paying Norwegian VAT 25% is a big downside because then your plane is stuck in Norway for resale (tiny market) or you take a huge loss. Paying 20% Austrian vat is much better as then EU VAT is paid upon resale. This is what I have understood at least. I am learning as a go here.

I offered Norway the money anyway and they told me to get lost.

This may work out better in the end with EU registration/VAT anyway. Downside is the plane has been on the ground for over 2 weeks waiting for the reg change.

Norway

Congrats for your machine !

The big problem has been registering the plane. I was to register the plane in Norway but the authorities there were not happy at all about the idea of a foreigner registering aircraft there.

Is that related to NAA? or something to do with taxes & imports (Norway being out of customs and vat union)

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Jul 19:36
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I was to register the plane in Norway but the authorities there were not happy at all about the idea of a foreigner registering aircraft there.

This looks weird but strange things can be seen across Europe. When I bought TB20 it was on Netherlands registry but it was prior to Croatia joining EU so I had to move it to Croatian registry. Later on when I was in search for DA42 I had two options – one DA42 was on Norwegian registry and the other was on Swedish. If I had chosen Norwegian one I would’ve moved it to other registry while Swedish CAA didn’t have anything against keeping the plane on their registry after purchasing.

Congratulations on your new aircraft!

Last Edited by Emir at 25 Jul 19:31
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Thanks for the update. Looks stunning and I hope the OE- registration is done quickly so you can train and enjoy flying it.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I would just like to update everyone that I recently took delivery of a DA42-VI! It is the gray aircraft, LN-SMF (but more on that below.)

I did the MEP course over 5 days at the factory (using mostly their demonstrator but also 1-2 hours on my aircraft.). I have to say the staff at Diamond was super friendly throughout the whole process and was happy to answer all my beginner questions and really took their time with me.

The big problem has been registering the plane. I was to register the plane in Norway but the authorities there were not happy at all about the idea of a foreigner registering aircraft there. So the aircraft has been on the ground at Wiener Neustadt for weeks waiting for Austrian registration. Apparently / unfortunately it costs thousands of euro to change the registration (ELT, transponder,.) and time to get a work slot.

I have also read on the forums from people that have taken delivery of new aircraft that there are always some issues to work out at the beginning. So far there was a problem with the landing gear sensor, ECU, and rudder trim. These should hopefully all be fixed shortly. I will need 40+ hours of training on the aircraft working on my CB IR ME, and part of the reason I have decided to begin my training in Austria is so I can quickly address any warranty issues that come up and workout the kinks.

In my 8 hours of flying the DA42 so far I can say it has been great, and actually significantly more comfortable than a DA40 (which I didn’t like.). The premium seats make a big difference. Hopefully by the end of the summer I can report I am doing cross countries around Europe.

Last Edited by sedatedokc at 25 Jul 14:58
Norway
63 Posts
Sign in to add your message