Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Need advice for a long VFR flight tomorrow ( EDWF to LFRG with Channel crossing)

Tigerflyer wrote:

Would be fine to know what kind of restiction these „aerial survey“ are for the next flight.

There are no restrictions at all. The areas are just for information.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ok we flew today on the way back, instead on the way down to LFRG, along the coastline of UK. In 3700ft we were 200ft above these new „restricted“ zones. It was fine but lower would be better as we did in the amsterdam area (1200ft). Would be fine to know what kind of restiction these „aerial survey“ are for the next flight.

EDWF, Germany

Peter wrote:

They are the same in terms of pilot punishment.

It is all a part of this stupid policy which started a few years ago. The phrase is “total punishment”.

I have never met anybody who knew who started this scheme but we all know who runs it

I’m not talking about enforcement. I’m talking about the regs and they didn’t change recently.

FWIW not all DAs create a criminal offence by transiting. Only those with a byelaw attached do.

That’s why I wrote “most”.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Presumably there is some administrative convenience in calling these danger areas rather than restricted areas.

I mean I presume it’s easier for the regulator to make a danger area rather than a restricted area, while it’s harder for pilots to understand!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

You will still get busted as if they were Class A.

6th row here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, but the Channel ones aren‘t even DAs, they are TDA‘s and as such, aren‘t even listed in the AIP.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

FWIW not all DAs create a criminal offence by transiting. Only those with a byelaw attached do. Not sure how one can easily find out though.

DAs that are restricted by byelaw are marked on the CAA charts with a symbol (an asterisk * I think? it’s in the legend). Ultimately that info comes from the AIP:

ENR 1.1 / 5.1.3.2.3: “For those Danger Areas where Byelaws which prohibit entry apply, the Remarks column 3 of ENR 5.1 includes the year and number of the relevant Statutory Instruments (SI)”

EGSG, United Kingdom

FWIW not all DAs create a criminal offence by transiting. Only those with a byelaw attached do. Not sure how one can easily find out though.

This is really something that should be in the UK airspace review. Danger areas are just that – areas where there is a danger to the aeroplane if you go in one – not restricted areas. There are permanant danger areas off the coast of France you need to fly through to go to certain airfields and there is none of this “crossing service” BS. The ones requiring a crossing service should be re-designated Restricted areas, it would make everyone’s life so much easier…

Aerial surveys tend to work in a grid pattern up and down about 6 times and then return for fuel and go again for another 6 or 7. They often consist of 2 aircraft one following the other and slightly higher and travel at their minimum speed usually around 90kts. They are flight planned and have to negotiate entry to DAs for a specific period of time, which for UK DAs can only be done an hour before the flight takes place.
As has been said SD is probably giving a heads up of this traffic. They do not restrict other flights other than keeping an eye out. But if you can you might prefer to fly higher or avoid.
They can be followed on things sites like Flight Radar.

France

They are the same in terms of pilot punishment.

It is all a part of this stupid policy which started a few years ago. The phrase is “total punishment”.

I have never met anybody who knew who started this scheme but we all know who runs it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message