Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

My green starboard nav wingtip light appears to have failed...

@AlexTB20 I’m sorry. I have no idea where to find new red/green domes. I was thinking about repainting mine, but then I worried about the heat of the bulb causing a fire risk with the wrong kind of paint, or just causing discolouration. My green dome is green but clear in places, but green enough to be ok. Not sure what to do next time around.

I’d be interested to hear how you get on.

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

If I needed to colour a lamp lens I’d visit a DJ/DJ equipment shop.
They used to sell dedicated paint for custom build DJ lighting.
It’s probably much less common now but it’s probably the product that’s needed.

United Kingdom

I finally decided to switch to Whelen Orion 650e navigation lights on my TB20.
(http://www.whelen.com/aviation/product.php?head_id=10&prod_id=158)

The Chroma series @Peter suggested are a nice plug in replacement for the standard incandescent light bulbs, however I decided to go the hard way, mostly for the added value of the included strobes.

I just wonder how hard will it be…

Already paid for the order. The aircraft is N-registered. Who will be able to apply for a major alteration on my behalf in Europe? Or is it any other easier way?

LRIA, Romania

Very hard to do a Field Approval from Europe. I have done 3 of them… I have a good contact in the US who will do these, for a fee:

The other way is to argue a Minor Alteration route, on the basis of a functional like for like replacement. If your A&P agrees it, go for it.

The hard way is to do a DER 8110 route, which will cost you loads. It is what certain UK avionics shops like to do because it avoids FAA interaction; the package just gets filed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message